My kawi 650sx build

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
Im building a sick kawasaki 1988 650sx.I've done or doin just about everything you can do to a 650.I've still got alot of work but it is funn.***pics soon***
This is what i've done so far or about to do.
foot holds
fresh ported motor
westcoast head
dual 42mm
factory pipe
skattrack impellar
deep scoope grate
ocean pro ride plate
umi bars
1100 bilge pump
westcoast water box
all new turf
If you have any suggestins then just tell me.I already no i should sell it and buy a sj.:sneaky:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
I'm selling 2 of those so I can get a Yami, probably an older square with a 701. Even a stock 650 sj is a better platform to start from, one of our freestylers won the Moses lake event last year on his bone stock 650 square .

RiverRat

The 650sx is not that bad. If you already have these mods done or in the works that is cool. I started ouot on a kawi 650 but found the yamaha hull handles better and the motor/driveline is a better platform. However, the 650 is a fun ski and if you are just getting into freestyle just ride the ski and have a blast on it. I would seriously consider modifying the hood. The 650 hood injests allot of water quickly. If you do not leave the boat in the water I also reccomend a scupper valve to be used in conjunction with the bilge pump.

Also look for a aluminum handlepole or better yet buy a pole that will fit on a superjet so when/if you decide to make the switch it will bolt right up. The fiberglass pole on the kawi's is junk for freestyle. I cracked mine in 5 places, even broke the cast aluminum steering system mounts that bolt onto the pole.

What kind of footholds are you planning on doing? I reccomend the REV's from waterdawgs. Best out there.

Last edited:

upstand2

upstand2
Not too much is better than a Ltd.701 for playing around. Ecwi works good on Kaws and works on your your next boat regardless of brand.

RiverRat

For the hood, blck off the 4 intakes on the front and side. Make a hood liner that will allow the intake and drainage to be on the back of the hood. It is best to just gut the hood liner and make one from scratch.

RiverRat

For the handlepole if you ahve the $$ I would look into a RRP. They are high dollar but should work well for this application and it will give you that adjustablity. When/if you ever decide to do to a superjet it will bolt right up and you can vary the length accordingly. However, I bet you can modify it to fit w/ minimial mods

Last edited:

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
build

I think im gonna due trim.DO all yall thank trim is worth it.I will post pics as soon as it gets back to my house {its at sjetrider} gettin footholds and turfed.THe paint fell through.

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
650sx build

I finished my motor last night.Now i just gotta put some turf and rails on and it will be ready to put the motor in.I will post pics as soon as i get them on my computer.

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
kawa 650sx

Does anyone have a dales bad attitude igntion on their 650sx i think im gonna get it this winter.And does anyone have a ac pole on there 650sx is it pretty good?

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
650sx buil

OK im about done building this 650sx.I finished my motor and i ordered some jets and springs for my 42mm kenihn carbs.My upholstrey is finished i just gotta put it on.Does anyone recomnd anything for my 650 that i havent done.O yeah the footholds and paint got canceled:frown: .

Thanks stingray for the upholstrey job!!!:biggthumpup:

Hopefully next weekend it will be in the water.

I will post pics this weekend.

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
pics

It is in my avatar sorry it will not let me put it as a atachment sorry.It is coming along very good.It just dropped from 85 degrees to 25 degress here so idk when i will be riding it but it should be water ready by next weekend.

-Hopeing it will :purr: .

-Any tips on breaking in a new motor?

-Any tips on turfing the rub rail im about to do that.

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
build

I got it started today and i think i let out a tear when i heard it rev for the first time.Now i just gotta water test it......It sounds like it has braap.:Banane01: :Banane01:

It is in my avatar sorry it will not let me put it as a atachment sorry.It is coming along very good.It just dropped from 85 degrees to 25 degress here so idk when i will be riding it but it should be water ready by next weekend.

-Hopeing it will :purr: .

-Any tips on breaking in a new motor?

-Any tips on turfing the rub rail im about to do that.

dont hold it wide open for a long period of time

i'd say no more than 4 to 5 seconds

Top Bottom