my new 2000 SJ project

I just picked up a 2000 sj, with a locked up 701 yesteday.

Apparently the poor ski has been a salt water baby all its life and hasn't been taken care off. I started to disassemble her today, and the carbs were completely salt water corroded, i have them sitting in a bucket of white vinegar. I then took the head off, and i didn't see any piston damage or any scarring on the sides. I then took the motor out because it was locked up and wouldn't turn by hand. I put some oil on both piston tops and slowly broke it loose with a crow bar. I still cant get it to turn by hand. if anyone has any tips, please let me know..

also, i think the pump is frozen, i tried turning the pump over and its completely jammed. I looked underneath into the pump and it looks like the impeller is stuck..what would i need to fix this? a new housing?

i'll post some pics. the hull is mint

Attachments

• superjetcarbs.jpg
    superjetcarbs.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 118
  • superjet engine.jpg
    superjet engine.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 138
  • superjet2000.jpg
    superjet2000.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 120

ItsRixter

SoCal Wav Jumping shiznit
Check two things:
1)The impeller wear ring might be swollen. Stick a flashlight through the intake side and see how much clearance you have between the blades and wear ring...or just rmove the pump and try to spin the drive shaft.
2) while the drive shaft is out check to see if the mid shaft spins freely

Either of those will keep the motor from turning over

Oh wow...

That puts a new definition to salt water corrosion. If the motor still won't turn over by hand its more than likely going to need at least a crank rebuild...probably had water sitting in the cases or something and corroded to the crank bearings.

You can buy a new/used wear ring for the pump..if the impeller is in good shape you can keep it on there.

And 38mm carbs aren't too high priced...I would probably just replace those unless vinegar is a miracle worker.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
1. you have a bad wear ring, replace it.

2. the motor could be hard to turn over because of surface rust on the cylinder if it hasn't been run in a while. if thats the case keep oiling it and keep turning it over to loosen the rust and free up the rings. if the cylinder doesn't have surface rust then its the crank, have the crank rebuilt or replace it with new or a good used one.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I just looked at the pics, tear that motor all the way down no matter what else you do. those carbs are not going to be re-usable. I'm thinking the crank is bad also.

thanks for the replies guys! i added some more oil to the top of the pistons to see if it will help a little bit. The impeller looks ok, i didn't see any nicks in it so im thinking the wear ring will have to be changed. The whole boat is stock from the looks of it, and the carbs...well the vinegar is working so far. I did hit it up with a toothbrush this morning and it looks better than before. I'll keep them in the vinegar for a bit, but if i cant get it super clean then i'll just have to invest in some new/used mikunis.

How do I rip the motor open? ive never opened a ski motor before. I have a kawi650 that i was trying to open to change the case gasket, but the case wouldn't split open for me, so its just sitting in the garage.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Remove the motor from the ski.
Remove, in roughly this order:
-carbs
-intake manifold + reeds
-flywheel cover
-flywheel
-bendix + stator
-starter
-head
-cylinder
-bedplates
-split the cases

Holy shmolys - someone ought to be shot, that's no way to treat a fine machine like that.

But I bet (and hope) you got a good deal though :notworthy:

tell me about it..i got it off some super rich guy that had it sitting in the badyard..just sitting in the dirt waiting for someone to give it some tlc. I think i got a decent deal

ok, i was able to open the motor up completely.. when i took the case off, the pistons were frozen in there spot, as is they didn't want to rock to the left of right on the rods. The crank spun freely, but was super dirty, as you can tell from the pics. please advide me what to do next, or what i should look for. thanks

Attachments

• case1.jpg
    case1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 56
  • case2.jpg
    case2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 56
  • crank1.jpg
    crank1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 82
  • crank2.jpg
    crank2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 54
  • pan1.jpg
    pan1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 75
  • pistons1.jpg
    pistons1.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 80

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
ok, i was able to open the motor up completely.. when i took the case off, the pistons were frozen in there spot, as is they didn't want to rock to the left of right on the rods. The crank spun freely, but was super dirty, as you can tell from the pics. please advide me what to do next, or what i should look for. thanks

I would suggest a new motor.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
You might be able to reuse the cases and cylinder, but they need to be cleaned up well.
Sandblasting, perhaps.
You need a crank and pistons, at a minimum.

How could I check to see if my crank or pistons are bad? I'm going to see if I clean everything up. IM going to try to salvage something. What if I let the metal parts soak in kerosene or gasoline.. Will that help? The carbs are starting to look a lot better than from when I started. Also, how do I take the pistons off the rods? Thanks for all your help guys!! I really apreciate it! :)

I would suggest a new motor.

I would love to just buy anoter motor, but my funds are extremly low at the moment, and I'm trying to get this girl on the water as cheap as I can. I know I need 4 motor mounts already, and I think the starter is toast, plus my wear ring is done. So all that adds up already. And if I can get the motor together with a new crank and pistons. I can spend the rest on the stuff i need listed above. Thanks for the advice tho.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
I just suggested the motor if you were looking to get up and running quick. Like others have said, some of it is salvageable. I'd love to have a project like that to work with, looks like you got a good buy.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
How could I check to see if my crank or pistons are bad? I'm going to see if I clean everything up. IM going to try to salvage something. What if I let the metal parts soak in kerosene or gasoline.. Will that help? The carbs are starting to look a lot better than from when I started. Also, how do I take the pistons off the rods? Thanks for all your help guys!! I really apreciate it! :)

Your crank and pistons are junk. You will not be cleaning those up to where you can use them again.

Last edited:
Ok. Where do u suggest I look for pistons and a crank. eBay? Here or pwctoday? Also do I get standard pistons with rings or will any kit do?

Top Bottom