FX-1 My perpetual FX-1 Build

98gti

C@R H@ul3R
The guy that had that wasnt too far from me, I tried to get him to trade my boat for it, but it was a no go. Glad you got it back.

just joe

Site Supporter
Any updates?

Yeah just a few updates... since my last post I've moved from Norcal to North East, MD. Yep, still in shock, but it's a 2 year assignment from work. AND I live on the bay (Lower North East River), so have daily access to water :bananapowerslide: Hope to meet some local riders to hang with, I hear there are a lot of FX-1's in NJ :sneaky:.

I also got to know a great engine builder on this side of the country, Chuck at CPT. He's finishing off an 850 DASA PV set-up for me. Hope to get it in the next week or so!!!!

Plan to put in my CF SJ tank today, just got my WPS battery from 4 seasons (damn that's light compared to my trusty Odyssey), and a few minor details. will show pics later.

Last edited:

just joe

Site Supporter
Made some progress the last couple weekends. The CF tank fit the hull well, but I had to relocate the battery tray by about 1/2" and trim the hood breather tubes.

Also installed the Rad Dudes exhaust hose (with a reducer on the exhaust tube end).

photo(47).jpg

Last edited:

just joe

Site Supporter
Thanks to Chuck at CPT, I have a DASA work of art. Test fitting it revealed that the carbs and the exhaust hose are rubbing more than I prefer (even pump side out), so I picked up some block-off plates and an external pump. It's not a good shot in the pic, but the back carb is hitting the hose pretty good.

I was going to put them in tomorrow and get the motor bolted in, but a quick electrical check suggests I need to pull the E-box first. another order to Rad Dudes for new cables and JM for a new relay...

photo(46).jpg

Last edited:

550headache

tobacco grower
Those look a lot like the psi pipe I'm going to run on my square nose project
darytyte.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk on the farm.....

just joe

Site Supporter
I have a SJ tank fitted, and my back-up is to run a Limited pipe - it fits well. the Mod is insignificantly different than an FX chamber. You can fit a mod with the stock FX tank.

But the chamber volume of the limited is still far less than a Type IV, Speedwerx, or Powerfactor

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
I have a SJ tank fitted, and my back-up is to run a Limited pipe - it fits well. the Mod is insignificantly different than an FX chamber. You can fit a mod with the stock FX tank.

But the chamber volume of the limited is still far less than a Type IV, Speedwerx, or Powerfactor

Since when does a mod chamber fit with a stock tank? I still thought it had to be dented minutely to get it to fit.

just joe

Site Supporter
Since when does a mod chamber fit with a stock tank? I still thought it had to be dented minutely to get it to fit.

Mine fit without any denting, and I used a RN alum waterbox.

The limited chamber requires very minute denting to avoid contact with the bed plate.

just joe

Site Supporter
Manifold differences between Speedwerx and Riva Type IV. Speedwerx is shorter (about 1/2") and according to Speedwerx (John) it made more midrange power in testing, so I'm dropping the notion of trying to fit the speedwerx pipe to the Riva manifold.

The pic angle is deceiving.
da8y2uhe.jpg

Last edited:

VXSXH20

Sionis Industries
Looking Real Good Joe! Ive been drooling over the engine setup you got. Id choose the speedwerx since you have one.. however If all else fails i think the FPP Limited is the sensible choice given reliabilty and lowend brappp. not to mention the potential maintenece and coupler issues of the dry pipes.. I have also seen a C4 nynja setup in a fx1 that was pretty trick and id suspect that its chamber may be larger than the MOD or limited FPP pipes?

Last edited:

just joe

Site Supporter
Looking Real Good Joe! Ive been drooling over the engine setup you got. Id choose the speedwerx since you have one.. however If all else fails i think the FPP Limited is the sensible choice given reliabilty and lowend brappp. not to mention the potential maintenece and coupler issues of the dry pipes.. I have also seen a C4 nynja setup in a fx1 that was pretty trick and id suspect that its chamber may be larger than the MOD or limited FPP pipes?

My goal was to fit the speedwerx pipe, but I really don't think it's going to happen in this ski at this time. I would have to substantially flatten both sides of the pipe to fit the hull and clear the PV's. I think I'll save it for another day, maybe moving this motor to an AM hull at some point and getting a non-PV motor for the FX and use the Speedwerx pipe with it.

Good tip on the C4, I haven't looked into it, but will. If it clears the PV's, it may be a very good option. Haven't heard a lot about them lately, though. Chamber volume is key... it's what makes the PFP and the dry pipes so powerful.

just joe

Site Supporter
Mounted the external pump to the battery box using a bracket made from Silver Texalium. had to raise it up to clear the bed plate due to relocating the box reward to clear the CF tank.

Also bought a crap load of SS screws from McMaster. Every bolt will be cap/hex/button 316 or 18-8 stainless.

4u6y8eby.jpg

Top Bottom