300/440/550 My redone 550/650

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Bought this a couple of months ago from a friend. Ski had been sitting up behind his shed for a couple of years. It's a 650 top end and crank in a set of 750 sp cases. It already had a westcoast pipe and mani, bn44, 550 pump w/ a 19* skat, ocean pro rideplate, westcoast open intake grate, and a k&n f/a. Got it running decent and ran it for a couple of weeks and then the work started...It had a bn44 on it, so that was the first thing to go. The handlepole weighed a ton, so i got a pole spring for it. Needed all new fuel and cooling lines. Had a pos home made pole limit rope that I took off and got a umi one. The paint on the head was coming off, so I repainted it. The bedplate was really rusted up, so I sanded and painted it. I spent a couple of hours cleaning the inside of the hull to make it nice and clean. Had a bad bilge pump ,so I got a new rule 800 and 500 and new stainless bilge outlets. The electrical wiring was a mess, so i redid all of that. Got a new oem hood seal, a prok f/a, and blowsion hood straps from john ziggler. Had a crappy trigger throttle, so I ordered 0* blowsion bars, odi grips, and a new trigger throttle. I added a flow control valve to give it a little better throttle response. I had the stock waterbox in it and it blew up on the first ride out. I took it out and put a straight pipe with a resonator on. It's a little loud, but it's not to bad. I put in some pjs motor mounts because I plan to put a beating on this ski. I plan to blueprint the pump and find an ocean pro nozzle to try out this winter. I have the hood that matches the paint job, but it's getting a major crack repaired and refinished by a friend. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way the ski handles and the power it has. It tops out at 50 on smooth water with a hand held gps. My weight probably helps out since i only weigh 135. It stays hooked up in the corners really well and I can really lay the ski over well. I can stand anywhere I want on the ski and it still stays perfectly straight and has no porpoising. It handles way better than any js hull I've ridded in any type of chop. I can take stock superjets and hang with most lightly modded ones in a straight line. I plan to do some work this winter to maybe give it a little more power and I'm definitely gonna add some footholds.. Here are some pictures of when I got it and it now. I just cracked my handlepole out riding today, so I'm on the hunt for an aluminum one.
before...
DSC01106.jpg

DSC01105.jpg

After...
DSC01162.jpg

DSC01160.jpg

DSC01159.jpg

DSC01158.jpg

DSC01155.jpg

Last edited:

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Thanks man. I'm a little disapointed the pole cracked because I loved that color. I'll probably get an aluminum one painted the same color this winter. I've got a black one on that looks ok for now.

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Here are pics of it with the black pole. I'm really happy with the way the pole turned out with almost no prep work and a quick rattle can job. Should work until I find a nice aluminum pole.
DSC01175.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Update on the ski...The starter relay went out so I'm putting in a 550 ebox with a 650 v/r. I don't really like how unorganized the electronics look right now, so that's part of the reason for the 550 ebox too. The new handlepole seems to be holding up fine, but I'm getting a -2 aluminum one from love-dat-bottom-end. There was a fiberglass repair job under the waterbox that didn't look like it was done very well and it just cracked today, so everything is coming out and I'm going to full reinforce the hull around the bond line and rework the fiberglass job under the waterbox. The whole nose is already reinforced with a couple layers of fiberglass, so I won't have to mess with that. Other than that it's running great. I got a lightened stock flywheel from Prick of Misery that I need to install and I'm still on the hunt for a factory pipe. I'm also getting one of the sweet nose braces that John Ziggler makes. This thing is the biggest money pit I've ever seen, but it's a blast when it actually runs! Also, Does anyone else have a problem with the exhaust leaving black smoke on the side of the ski? I know blowsion makes billet exhaust outlets that look like they're angled out a lot more.

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Been a while since an update...I got the 550 ebox in and it looks much cleaner now. I repaired the nose under the waterbox. My resonator split, so I nstalled a mariner waterbox. It runs way better and turns way more rpms now. It's also a little quieter. I bought a red top sbn46 for it yesterday. It should come in this week and I'll put it on and see what it does. I got a nice barrel flop on it last weekend. I got over 1/2 way around off a pretty small boat wake. Footholds would help a ton, but I'm just trying to get the motor setup right for now. I'd also like to figure out a trim system for the 550 pump. I've seen a couple of guys do it. After I get the motor setup completely how I want it, I'll move on to more hull and pump mods.

Last edited:

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
New carb came in today! but, there's a minor setback with the ski. I hit a big cruiser wake today. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking...I've got a hull prepped for paint in the garage that looks like it's finally getting a motor.

DSC01303.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01300.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Well I had some fun this weekend on the new hull. The new carb gives it way more snap and i have it tuned in pretty good. I got took both skis a part and used the best of everything I had. I still need to reinforce the engine bay and add all the braces from the old hull, but I'm trying to get all the riding in I can while it's still warm. Here's a link to some pics I got this weekend. http://www.pwctoday.com/f21/got-air-350532.html

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
got some pics of the ski put together earlier today. I just got the money for a fpp, so I should be getting one soon. I'm taking this motor out soon to repaint the head and ebox and because I need to test out the viper 700 before I sell it.

DSC01341.jpg

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01344.jpg

I'm thinking about buying another 550 hull and use my 650 out of my x2 that I'm building. But I also have a 750ssxi that I was thinking about transplanting the pump in to the 550. What do you think?

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Thanks man. I can't wait to get a job so I will have a little more money to throw into these things. Everything I'm getting right now is from flipping broken stuff on craigslist. The 750 pump swap would be sweet. A couple of people have done it and it's a lot of work. Here's a link to someone that did a 650 pump swap. http://www.pwctoday.com/f72/550-650-pump-swap-319703.html I'm pretty happy with the 550 pump. I'm over 50mph and it has pretty good low end, but I can't imagine what it would be like with a 650 or 750 pump. Still nothing like the snap of a sj, but pretty good for a js hull. This is definitely the most fun 550 I've ridden. I'm interested to see how my viper 7000 will compare when i drop it in to do some work on the 650. The fpp head pipe came in today! Now I just need a chamber and water injection.

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Took a couple shots before i strip everything down for the winter and start my pump conversion. It hits way better with the fpp, but I have a small hole in the waterbox that was leaking and making it run bad last weekend. I'll start a build thread when I start chopping up the new hull for my pump swap.

DSC01400.jpg

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Cant wait to see your build! Do you like the red top? I got dual 46 red tops for my build.
Yeah it hit way harder than it did with my stock sbn44. I only had the ski running right for about 15 minutes with it. Right around 1/3 throttle, It would hit and rev straight up and take off. It was really fun to ride when it was like that.

N2 H2O

Previously Tbone550
Here are some pics of a pole I drew up. Any suggestions are welcome. I want to use a sj or aftermarket steering setup on it because I like the on top steering setup. I also want to run riser bars.

h-pole4.jpg

h-pole3.jpg

h-pole2.jpg

h-polepng.jpg

Top Bottom