My thoughts on the whole SXR vs SJ thing

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
Just rode 'tonka for the day with my bro's SJ. My brother and I have the exact same mods (wetpipe/head/reeds/spacers/flame arrestors/ignition) except I have an advent in the SXR and the bro has an MSD enhancer and his was tuned by Kevin from LegDrag.com (hes the ****).

Completely different ride then my SX-R. Completely. I have decided I truely hate how the SJ handles. Not into this whole having to use the handlebars to turn rather than leaning. But, hands down the SJ beats the hell out of my ski on flat water with absolutely no waves. Loved it and had a blast. Can't get over how light they are too. Still can't get past that damn halfway mark with rolls though. Super easy to flat water stab too, almost too easy for the effort I am use to putting into them. Now with the trim on my SX-R fully up its almost the same - but without the yamaha lowend kick. Which brings me to my next point.

Jumping waves of big yatchs (40+ feet) I think I fully prefer my SXR. Where my ski lacks in immediate lowend hit it greatly makes up for with mid range which is needed for boat waves. Did not get near the height I am use to getting and could not get very high with nosestabs either. The only thing that was pretty similar was clearing the wake, seemed to have no problem with that. Actaully missed my SX-R for the most part while hitting them. I think I get nose up more with my ski vs the bros SJ too. Dunno if that is just the difference on the riding stance of our two skiis or not.

Anywho. To sum things up, I want an SX-R that is as light as the Superjet. That would be the perfect ride. Or maybe a SJ with the handling of an SXR and with a wider tray. If I could get more of a lowend hit with my kawi motor that would be awesome too. May have to try to tune it some more and look for a lightweight flywheel. Trinity Composites may get an order soon as well.

XFT LOU

1 hp./1.83lbs
Very good comparison. I had tons of fun with the sxr for three years. Now its back to the drawing board on how to ride the xft. After one mth. my back hurts so bad I can hardy walk, I just took 10 stiches out of my face. My timing is so off I look silly. Heck who needs big waves anymore, I can swing a powerslide 180, then gas & trim landing on my helmet and chin pad. If that would be possably on a sxr platform, that would be nice.

I am holding out for that secret wepon ski that Trinity is building. SXR handling with a SJ powerplant. And lighter weight than anything around.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Meh....I rode an SXR for the first and only time about a month ago in fairly big surf in Oregon. I didn't care for it much.
It was nice handling at speed, for sure. But it felt incredibly heavy, plowed through stuff, the pole was a pain in the rear (used to my stiff XMW), and the tray was not padded.
Try some 15 footers with that. Ouch.

Anyhow, I guess I was the only one complaining. Snackem, Phill, and Suva rode that SXR in the same conditions, and they really liked it.
I much preferred a loaner Blaster.

StillStand'n

I'll quit before I sit
I've got both skis but he SJ has a B-pipe and other goodies and the SX-R only has an aluminum handle poll. The SJ hits so much harder and freestyles so much better. The SX-R is way better in the chop and just easyer on the operator. I like um both and wouldn't want to have to choose just one.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
I have about the same mods on my SXR as my friends on their SJs. I feel they both hit about the same on the low end. Most people are used to riding modded out Superjets and then get on a stock SXR and don't like it.

I do admit, the weight is starting to get to me. The Trinity hood made all the difference in the world. (some day I'll afford one) A lightweight SXR would be the ultimate ski. I would love to ride Malone's ski (hybrid lightweight shortened SXR/Octane mix) :biggrin:

I do feel the days of the Roundnose Superjet ruling freestyle are numbered....(maybe the 2007 SJ will take over)

I've dropped 35lbs of BS off my SXR and with the following mods, it has amazing bottom end and I'm 220lbs. Gotta love the wide tray.

factory wet pipe
ada head 200lbs
freestyle porting
advent t3 ignition
TBM total loss flywheel
magnum 142mm 12 vein pump 9/17 prop
ECWI
dual 46mm Black jack carbs
R&D M16 Reeds
TBM spacers
Jetworks flow control valve
TDR water box

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
I do admit, the weight is starting to get to me. The Trinity hood made all the difference in the world. (some day I'll afford one) A lightweight SXR would be the ultimate ski. I would love to ride Malone's ski (hybrid lightweight shortened SXR/Octane mix) :biggrin:

yea I definitly want to ride Malone's ski. Really kinda bummed he isnt selling the hulls. Weight is starting to annoy me too. Want a new ski sooner or later, mines just getting its ass kicked left and right by me.

Maybe hold on to is and see what Trinity Composites is up to...

SXR-FOREVER

Finally Flippin
I've dropped 35lbs of BS off my SXR and with the following mods, it has amazing bottom end and I'm 220lbs. Gotta love the wide tray.

factory wet pipe
ada head 200lbs
freestyle porting
advent t3 ignition
TBM total loss flywheel
magnum 142mm 12 vein pump 9/17 prop
ECWI
dual 46mm Black jack carbs
R&D M16 Reeds
TBM spacers
Jetworks flow control valve
TDR water box

I want to ride your ski or one like it before I decide what the hell I want to do with mine.

Top Bottom