My throttle return spring broke, what if...

What happens if it were to break while riding? Or while engine is running. Is it designed so that the suction of the motor will close the throttle plate? Or would it just flap around like a flag with the engine reving to the moon?

The throttle shaft is still connected to the cable and to your lever, if it happened while on the ski you can push the throttle lever away from the bars to close the throttle blade..... A bad situation anyway you slice it

i've had it happen on my super stock superjet with full spec 48s. it doesnt just stay wide open but it doesnt go to idle either. i was in fairly open water and bliping the throttle got me back to the stand. i used needle nose pliers to bend the spring and create a new hook. i'm pretty sure i never replaced it since then.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
I had a single 46SBN spring break pretty far out a open bay.....it stuck wide open. Luckily I had a lanyard and had time to push stop button, while ski was trying to accelerate out of control. I was able to push the cable back in at the handlebar and ride it back holding the cable. But ya without a lanyard could have been disastrous.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
What happens if it were to break while riding? Or while engine is running. Is it designed so that the suction of the motor will close the throttle plate? Or would it just flap around like a flag with the engine reving to the moon?
My return spring broken on my 650sx. I had read about the possibility just before it happened, otherwise it could have been real bad. I pulled the throttle and it went straight to the bar with no resistance, so I immediately hit the stop button. I was out in the ocean so I couldn't take my hood off, it stayed wot so needless to say it was a very scary stop and go trip back.

650sx didn't come with a lanyard. I added one. Now the only time I don't use my Superjet lanyard is during certain tricks. It can be a bit cumbersome but it's not worth the risk.

I never ran a lanyard till this happened to me. Was very much stuck at full noise, luckily I was pretty used to this full noise situation and just hit the stop button.
Have run a lanyard ever since. Could be very dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a ski that the start/stop is tempermental so I have just unplugged the black/white wires.

Won't be doing that anymore. I guess you could turn fuel selector to off but who would think of that when you're headed to shore at wot

I was hoping the answer would be that the design caused the air flowing into engine to close or mostly close the plate.

Top Bottom