My trailer solution

Daesharacor

Rossi wannabe
Modified my dad's old motorcycle trailer to carry the new sj this weekend, and I thought I'd make a thread so that if anybody else was thinking of doing it they'd have another idea to help with the brainstorming.

It's a regular one axle trailer with 3/4" plywood covering the top surface.

I got an 8' pressure treated 4x4 and two 8' pressure treated 2x4s, as well as 8 3/8" 6" long bolts and associated hardware. We cut the 4x4 into 2' sections and used the tilt feature of a circular saw to cut them at a 30 degree angle (as measured from the hull of the sj). We cut the 2x4's down to 6 feet and screwed the 4x4's to the bottom at the front and rear of the 2x4's, bolted the assemblies to the trailer, and threw some indoor/outdoor carpet over the bunks.

Here's the pattern I used for the angle and spacing on my '08 hull.

IMG_0631.jpg

Anyway, here's a few pictures.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

sneaky

a real mickelson
crap i miss my sti. those are hell of an awesome car. mine was 05 tho, same color but with goldies. miss it to death

sneaky

a real mickelson
oh btw where did you get your tailer hitch? when i worked for subaru i wanted one for my trailer, i called the factory rep and he told me:

"Subaru has a hard time justifying a trailer hitch option on a car the can do 145mph. Sorry."

i laughed. glad you got one.

Daesharacor

Rossi wannabe
Haha, thanks guys. Wouldn't trade that car for any other.

I got the hitch from etrailer.com. Great company to deal with... quick shipping and excellent product. I got the Curt hitch and had to get the kartboy.com exhaust hangers to provide the clearance over the exhaust since mine is aftermarket. No welding or anything, just unbolting a few frame bolts and popping it on, putting the bolts back in. There's a small cut you have to make on the bottom of the body plastic, but it's completely unnoticable and the total area might be .5 square inches.

Daesharacor

Rossi wannabe
Thanks. It's great, I can still strap a bunch of stuff on the trailer, it's got a foot or so on each side. I'm pretty happy with the setup! Cost me 50 bucks in material, too... so better than spending a couple hundred on a new or used one.

Daesharacor

Rossi wannabe
Hahaha, yes. We were in the process of tying it down when I stepped back and took a few pictures. I'm going to figure out a better way of doing it in the future, but we just used rope loops through the bow and stern holes and used tie-downs to crank them tight to the trailer. I also threw one over the gunwhales because hey, why not.

A question - I tied the handle pole down so it couldnt bounce up and down on bumps. Do you guys do that? Is it necessary? I'd imagine it varies depending on whether or not you have an aftermarket pole and/or spring, but in a general sense, do you do it and how do you do it? Thanks!

z00m

UK X-H20
Wow, nice! We didn't get that version sti in the states... boo. Glad to see more subie owners representing though :)

Cheers we didnt get it in the uk , its imported from japan, i love jap cars, the longest ive ever kept a car this, 410bhp at the wheels V2 STI and 10 > 12 mpg towing the ski, but im smilimg all the way :Banane13:

Mick

Daesharacor

Rossi wannabe
Nice. Gotta have a big turbo on there, I know the stock turbo here isn't good past ~350whp. I'm only at 300 at the wheels so far :p but I still get 26mpg on a good tank!

Top Bottom