Name That Ski ???

Have any of you guys that have been around for a while ever seen one of these and know any details about them? It's a JS 550. Have never seen another one in person and only one other picture of one. Anybody know the scoop?

Bigmax

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 167
That's a decent starter ski to get into the sport if you can pick it up for cheap. You'll eventually end up on a superjet (somewhat debatable) so if you can afford one, you might as well start there.

Endo

Non-tree hugger
That is not a regular 550. The handle pole and hull look right but have never seen a top deck/hood like that. I'm interested myself in what it is....

Bit, thanks for the link.

I actually already own this ski. If you look close, it's doesn't have the standard JS hood on it. It has a smaller wedge shaped hood on it with the air intake on the back side. It's completely open on the inside... almost as if somebody cut everything off from the back of where the hood would go to the front of the ski and then put a new top on it and glassed it all in. It was done really nice and doesn't look like some backyard job.

I was hoping someone who has been around for a while might be able to shed some light on what this thing is? Was it a kit one of the aftermarket companies sold for the JS 550? What were the benefits of it? Etc., etc.

I've only been able to find one other picture of a hull like this but no other info. Here's the other pic.

Attachments

• retro0320.jpg
    retro0320.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 104
Y

yamaslut

Bit, thanks for the link.

I actually already own this ski. If you look close, it's doesn't have the standard JS hood on it. It has a smaller wedge shaped hood on it with the air intake on the back side. It's completely open on the inside... almost as if somebody cut everything off from the back of where the hood would go to the front of the ski and then put a new top on it and glassed it all in. It was done really nice and doesn't look like some backyard job.

I was hoping someone who has been around for a while might be able to shed some light on what this thing is? Was it a kit one of the aftermarket companies sold for the JS 550? What were the benefits of it? Etc., etc.

I've only been able to find one other picture of a hull like this but no other info. Here's the other pic.

wow... didn't notice that :biggthumpup:

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
I would guess it's a Cobb's Jetski factory, but not certain. I'm just basing that on some of the other stuff they did back then.

Here's some more pics...

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1606.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1606.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Copy of IMG_1519.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1519.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 41
  • Copy of IMG_1520.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1520.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Copy of IMG_1522.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1522.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 75
  • Copy of IMG_1529.jpg
    Copy of IMG_1529.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 42

Endo

Non-tree hugger
That hull need a serious cleaning with some power clean!!! That is awsome I haven't seen a hull like it before. Is the tray as skinny as it looks...skinnier than a standard 550 tray? Motor still floating around???

Y

yamaslut

That hull need a serious cleaning with some power clean!!! That is awsome I haven't seen a hull like it before. Is the tray as skinny as it looks...skinnier than a standard 550 tray? Motor still floating around???

I think you are seeing the hood sitting in the tray

Y

yamaslut

OOps time for glasses I think. I was wondering how that would work...but it would guarantee that you stayed centered I guess....lol

my size 13's would never fit in there... he he he

Sure they would Yamaslut... you could mount some bindings just like a slalom ski in there... LOL

The tray is standard for a JS550. And the inside is a lot cleaner now... these pictures were taken right after I pulled the motor after burning down the rear cylinder. Motor doesn't appear to be anything special... but who knows if it's the original.

Y

yamaslut

Sure they would Yamaslut... you could mount some bindings just like a slalom ski in there... LOL

The tray is standard for a JS550. And the inside is a lot cleaner now... these pictures were taken right after I pulled the motor after burning down the rear cylinder. Motor doesn't appear to be anything special... but who knows if it's the original.

lol.... that would be funny... never even thought of riding like that... I wonder if you could rip turns like that???????

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
Must be an aftermarket CF topdeck?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom