Need help choosing..

First off i'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this sort of thing. I'm pretty fresh when it comes to jet skis (bought my first one last year, Kawasaki 440). Anyways I got bored of it pretty quick and want something faster and more fun.. I've kind of narrowed down my options to these 2 but I don't have the experience to know which i will get the most out of. I've read that most after market options are focused around Yamaha..
Anyways these are what im looking at, any insight would be great. thanks.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-personal-wat...ki/1068957245?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-personal-wat...up/1069342526?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I wouldn't buy either. I'm not a fan of the way 750s ride and that square nose superjet is overpriced IMO. For that price range try and find a used round nose superjet or if you liked the feel of the smaller ski you might like an fx-1. Fx-1's are hard to come by though.

Reactions: CRJ
what is more reasonable prices? I figured they were high but everything around here is like that. If it makes a difference i will just be riding on small lakes. tiny waves and boat wakes

I guess some Canadians should weigh in regarding price. Around my area a super nice square nose would be about 2k and a pretty nice round nose would be 3500-5k depending on mods.

Check the for sale section on here. You might be able to find a guy local to you and prices on the site seem to usually be fairly priced. Before you contact a seller though go through the buyer seller feedback sections. There are a couple people known for ripping others off but 10 min of research will clearly show you who they are. Good luck with your search.

Canadian prices for skis are a lot higher than in the states...and Winnipeg he market for skis I'd imagine is quite small. I'd go for a superjet but that one does not look like a good buy to me. Don't be afraid to look in ontArio or even Quebec or Alberta and have it shipped to you, or even look across the border and bring it back up, the process is really pAinless.

When spending that much $$ on a ski you better be getting exactly what you want. Be patient and don't just settle, you'll get a nicer ski and less $$ out of pocket than buying a turd And always repairing it. Just my 2 cents.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Sorry, little off subject, but i was wondering, what are yall Canadian lake water temps up too right now? Were still kinda cold, 73F surface temp.

I shipped a ski within the USA, was no big deal and didn't cost a whole lot.

t7oncz.jpg

that was a week ago

I'd pm trurider in Alberta...I know they have shipped skis before. Since your not crossing borders it shouldn't be a big deal.

Our ice just went out on our lakes two weeks ago...so still pretty cold

im not sure of shipping, but i will tell you Jetx is right: be patient, and buy quality. i bought a kawasaki 750 and trailer last year, and didnt do much research... long story short..... ive spent an aditional 2k completly rebuilding this ski, only to have a 'new', 20 year old ski... i coulda bought an SXR or superjet. ...also my 2 cents :)

Lake Ontario was at 4.2*C (or 44.4*F) two days ago. No rush on the build process here lol. As for the two skis you are looking at, I would have to agree that neither would be a good choice. They are quite over priced given their age. A '91 square nose SJ in about the same condition sold around here (south eastern Ontario) just a two years ago for $1500.00 Three years ago I bought my stock 96 rn SJ for $1950.00. There are two things I noticed with the video of sn posted in kijiji that always scare me and ultimately drive me away from looking further at it unless they are ready to sell for a give away price....1. no fear stickers, and 2. compression testing with both plugs out of the cylinders. In all of my experiences, people that put ridiculous no fear stickers on their toys have no regard for them either. Anytime I have seen that, it has always resulted in the machine needing some sort of costly repair, even though the only thing it needed according to the owner was a battery or carb kit lol. Ok, maybe not everyone that uses those stickers destroys their skis lol. That being said, it's not exactly true...maybe more of a generalization...but it was true with my last ski. Ended up needing a carburetorrrrCDI box kit? ...and now he has decided to be a self employed mechanic without any training or credentials....hmmm. Anyway, the first and best mod I could do to it was remove that sticker and burn it lol. I am by no means a fan of tacky bumper stickers encase you missed it :) But also, when doing a proper compression test, the cylinder not being tested should have a plug in it to place the engine under normal cranking conditions giving a more accurate reading. His description of why it has dual bilge pumps also suggests that he might have a lack of knowledge about skis in general. I agree with jetx, hold out for now. The season is just getting under way, before too long they will be popping up on kijiji regularly.

That is certainly a much cleaner looking ski than the last couple. Price depends on a few things, are there any mods or bolt on parts with it or is it all stock? Compression readings, running nicely or has issues, condition of the impeller. If it were fully stock, good compression and no issues, just start and go...I would say 1500-1800 seems to be about right. One around here sold a couple of years ago for about 1500 and not as nice looking as that one. If it had extras on it such as a pipe, bigger carb, after market handle pole and bracket...etc, I would say 1800-2100 tops. That's the thing with any kind of build up, be it a ski or a truck, it is still whatever year it is and you will always put more into it than you will ever get back out of it.

Top Bottom