Need help fast!!

dave787

Couches are boring
Hood fell off today. Ski sank. Fresh water but I don't want to let it sit at all. we held it up side down and turned it over with the plugs out and got out at least 95% of the water, but it still wont start. I want to start it tonight and get all of the water out to prevent any rust or corrosion. any help to get it going?

clean carbs, new plugs(i cant till morning, store is closed)?

the plugs in it now still spark fine when tested, but it's not sparking when I turn it over. I'm sure I flooded it pouring gas and oil down the carbs to prevent corrosion while it sits for a couple hours. does that matter?

ok, you need to dry your plugs off with a rag and keep trying to start it. did you turn it upside down with the plugs out and crank it a few times?? Once there is no water coming out I then dry off the plugs or use new ones and it will; start but run rough.... You can use a torch to heat the anode of the plugs up a little bit. Keep working and get it going you need about 30 minutes of running the thing to get all the water out.

dave787

Couches are boring
been doing that, turned it up side down and got all the water out. talked to gil and he had some good advice. trying starting it on the front cylinder and leaving the back plug out but grounded so the timing is good. should let water flow out the back hole. we'll see if i can get it going soon

snowxr

V watch your daughters V
Use compressed air or a flame to dry the plugs. Set the ski upright. Drain the tank, since there could be water in there now. Start with fresh premix. Crank it over with fresh plugs. If it fires, run as long as you can. If it dies or doesn't fire, clean the plugs and repeat.

Forget the running on one cylinder nonsense. The more each cylinder fires, the dryer each will be. They are not interconnected.

If all else fails, fill the motor with 2-stroke oil, and dissasemble in the morning.

how did it go? Happened to me one time on old :):):):)ty plugs, and my neighboor told me to heat them up (i was really nervous) it fired right away... went to the lake and ran it like hell for 45 mins and havent had a prob since (that was 2 years ago)...

dave787

Couches are boring
I had one broken reed petal on each valve from trying to turn it over before all the moisture was out. Replacing the vforce with stock for now to get it running while I wait for replacements

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Use compressed air or a flame to dry the plugs. Set the ski upright. Drain the tank, since there could be water in there now. Start with fresh premix. Crank it over with fresh plugs. If it fires, run as long as you can. If it dies or doesn't fire, clean the plugs and repeat.

Forget the running on one cylinder nonsense. The more each cylinder fires, the dryer each will be. They are not interconnected.

If all else fails, fill the motor with 2-stroke oil, and dissasemble in the morning.

running on one cylinder works great getting them running on the beach, with a geyser coming out of the rear cylinder. it gives the water a way out, instead of bending rods, the water will come up through the transfers.

we get them running on the front cylinder and run it for 30 seconds or so on the beach, then reinstall the rear plug, run it on both cylinders then go beat on it again in the surf to get all the moisture out.

then fog out when flushing out after riding. no problems like this, just gotta make sure plugs are out before cranking when full of water or else you will break reeds like the Original poster said.

another trick when sunk in the surf, is to take fresh plugs out of a buddy's running ski to get the sunk one going again. the unsunk ski will get the wet plugs to fire just fine, and the hot plugs will help get the sunk ski running again.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
One tip I will give you is to open up the gap on the plugs so that it takes more than one drop of water to ground them out,I have cut the electrodes clean off of plugs to get water out before,the ski will run like crap even after the water is out but it works.

i also learned the hard way to turn the ski upside down and drain as much water as absolutely possible with the plugs out before bumping the starter.

the water will force it's way out anywhere it can which usually includes pushing the reed petals backwards. then the ski doesn't have enough suction to pull the gas through and it wont start. (at least thats how i understand it)

glad you got it figured out.

dave787

Couches are boring
Haha. Thanks for the help. I had poured a fee ounces of 2 stroke oil in the case since it sat overnight. And tons of penetrating water displacement spray. put stock reeds back in and it's perfect now. Started right up

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
Haha. Thanks for the help. I had poured a fee ounces of 2 stroke oil in the case since it sat overnight. And tons of penetrating water displacement spray. put stock reeds back in and it's perfect now. Started right up

HELL YEAH! Now go brap it on the lake tomorrow for a good while. You will be good to go!

FYI when i flipped and sunk our seadoo all i did was remove both plugs and crank it over for a while to let the water spray out, then i fogged it really good with wd-40, cranked it some, put the plugs back, cranked it some, pulled, fogged, cranked etc till it just started working again. But its a bit to big of a ski to flip upside down so i couldnt start there.

I also let the water sit in the engine over night (no tools at the lake when i flipped it) but it still runs. I will say it has no where near the low end power it used to have, but i cant tell if its from the water ingestion or not.

Top Bottom