Need help with factory pipe

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Threads were clean..? Sounds messed up to me. I don't loctite my headpipe bolts and they're just fine. Never come loose. Sounds like you just might have to helicoil

I had the same problem number of years ago. If you torque down all three bolts and they are still coming loose then I would suggest you have some sort of shaking in your drive line. In my case the flywheel was not actually seated on the crankshaft properly and no matter what I tried to do to keep those bolts from coming loose they kept coming out.

Fro Diesel

creative control
I am not sure why your mechanic buddy didn't just do it right and install a helicoil. Tapping it for the next size up is really not what you want to do if you plan to work on the ski or keep it for more than a day.
Yes, you can reweld. Its an aluminum manifold so a good motorcycle shop or welder can get you back to 10m x 1.25

Helicoil AND use new stainless bolts from an appropriate supplier. If you've had bolts vibrate out several times you'll probably notice the threads have rounded off. Re-using bolts in this condition will just perpetuate the problem.

You might want to consider the use of spring washers. These will help keep tension on the bolts and minimise the risk of a bolt backing out. Having said that, my header bolts have remained snug with just loctite and fresh gaskets.

Do they not make it one ride before coming out? I had to retorque my 750 every few rides. eventually they stayed tight, until I took them out again, no locktite but I did use lock washers. and the water box is the big white thing behind the pipe against the bulkhead

Top Bottom