need help with slow laptop

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
I have a older laptop that is much slower than it should be.

Dell inspiron 6000
1.73 gh
2g ram
xp sp3

It can barely run google chrome with nothing else running.

I doubled the ram recently and it didn't improve the speed at all. A virus scan takes 12+ hours on a 140gb hard drive that has 100gb unused.

Any advice? I probably havn't given enough info so let me know if you need anything else.

SuperJETT

So long and thanks for all the fish
First, open a command prompt and run chkdsk /r then tell it yes to let it check the disk at next reboot, then reboot and let it fully check the drive.

If you have bad sectors on the drive, that should find them and mark them as bad plus try to recover the data that was on them.

After that, full virus scan then run Spybot Search&Destroy and see where you are.

SuperJETT

That's a sure sign of bad sectors if it takes forever to get through 4 (data) and 5 (free space).

Grab a movie, it might be a while...

SuperJETT

Seriously? I have had it take 12 hours before on a really bad one that I just wanted to recover some files off of at work, but normally it's 2-3 hours for one with a few errors.

If it's really taking this long, then you need a new drive immediately. Copy your stuff off if you need to.

WaveDemon

I'm probably not going to replace this HDD again. this laptop is falling apart. literally, the hinges are broken. If this doesn't fix it I may look for a used laptop in better condition.

swanny

not safe for clowns
computer question: does anyone know how to find where you WEP key is for a linksys router. People cant get on my internet without this key and I dont know it anymore.

WaveDemon

the hdd makes sense for the symptoms it has.

it takes a very long time to open a program. once it opens it works normally (most of the time). Virus scans take an eternity. check disk took around 14 hrs.

I guess I'll replace the drive again. The other issue for this laptop is the frame the hinges bolt to is broken. I've jb welded it a couple of times but it always breaks. Thanks to matt 's suggestion I decided to see what I could find on ebay for repairs also. I found just what I needed for the right price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Inspiron-6...aultDomain_0?hash=item4ceb77583d#ht_580wt_939

Since this laptop costs more used on ebay than a new netbook I guess it's worth fixing.

ger87410

How did I get here?
If you think that drive is toast, send it my way. I'll pay for shipping.

I'm betting your problem is related to spyware/malware. Of course, assuming your drive is greater then 100GB.

Top Bottom