SX/SXi/SXi Pro NEED HELPPPP 98 SXI PRO one cylinder gets weak spark other doesnt

Just picked up another sxi pro and got it in the water and rode for about 4 minutes and then once we were out in the middle of the lake it died. battery seemed weak so i charged it up and still wouldnt start which led me to check spark and sure enough back cylinder had some spark but not at all times and the front one had no spark AT ALL. Has anyone had this problem. could it be a coil or something. ive been around 2 strokes my entire life but only been around sxi pro's for about a year now. also when we had it out we thought it was the battery so we threw the charger on it while it was up on the lift and it started to sprinkle outside and before i could even get out there to unplug it the charger had popped a fuse in the house, not sure if this could cause anything and doesnt seem likely but just trying to include any info i can to get this fixed.. :banghead:
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

are your plug caps bad, you can ohm them out, they should be 5 ohms i think. and while you have them off, crank it over and hold the coil wire lead to a good ground like a cylinder head nut, should be able to jump almost 1/2" gap.

5k ohms in each boot. 5k = 5000.

You should be able to measure from boot to boot through the ignition coil and get a reading of about 14k ohms.
The secondary winding on the ignition coil should have a DC resistance of about 4k.

5k + 4k + 5k = 14k ohms.
boot + coil + boot = 14k ohms.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
any decent multimeter will read ohms
cut back the wires and put on new boots
and see how she runs IMHO

We are looking at spark right now trying to switch boots to each wire to see if spark differs but nothing consistant. It did a few times look like weak spark what is going on here i saw a tiny spark come off the positive wire battery nut and it burned a big circle in my finger when i touched it should it be this hot even tho the motor did plenty of turning over while testing boots

Top Bottom