Need some help!

So I am looking into the BOB hull, but with a 6k budget I can not afford for them to build me a turn key ski. My half assed plan at the moment is to buy a hull for 3.5k and spend 2.5k on another ski and swap the guts. I have seen some decent sn Superjets out there for 2-2.5k. Id like your guys opinion on how you think i should do this. On the other hand i could spend 6k and get a lot more ski, but be stuck with a OEM hull, and try to plan on getting a BOB hull next summer and swapping the guts then.

I am pretty hot and bothered over this hull, i have always wanted a ski capable of flips etc but never thought it would be in my price range till now.

Anyways..thanks in advance for your opinions.

The squares I have seen in that price range seem to be 650's at worst and few if any mods on the 701's at best. Really hoping to get a full 701 limited set up that i can swap into the bob.

You could always look for a sn 650 with a blown motor (or no motor) for really cheap and use the cash saved to buy a decent 701 off the forums. That way you get all the parts needed for the hull and a chance to find the motor you want.

I'm considering this hull as well, lucky for me I still have some finances to get in place (and need to redo my fx-1 and finish my wife's sj) so I'm not in a rush. Not sure how well a factory pole will work on this hull, so don't forget that you "may" need an a/m pole and bracket. You could be looking at around another $1k (rrp) just for that.

When I started planning a couple of builds I realized how many little parts will nickel and dime you to death, not to mention forgetting stupid things we all overlook when quickly adding things in our heads. Still with this hull and all the little parts needed you can build one complete for the price of some of the other a/m hulls or if your lucky just swap everything from an existing hull and ride.

for 2500 i think you could find a decent motor and pump and then the rest is just nickel and dime chit to finish it. thats what i would do. why mess with swapping stuff around. besides, with everyone having a hard on for a ss865 you could probably get a really nice motor in the for sale section. just my 2 cents for ya to think about.

for 2500 i think you could find a decent motor and pump and then the rest is just nickel and dime chit to finish it. thats what i would do. why mess with swapping stuff around. besides, with everyone having a hard on for a ss865 you could probably get a really nice motor in the for sale section. just my 2 cents for ya to think about.

you are underestimating how much that other nickel and dime stuff adds up to be. Motor mounts, steering, steering cable, throttle cable, battery box, hoses, water box.....it REALLY adds up fast. You could easily spend $1500 on all that stuff even at bargain prices.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Some other things to think about... You can get a decent SN for around $1.5k-$2.5k but how many of those parts are you really going to put in the BOB hull? You'll want an AC pole or something like that and not stock. You'll need an aftermarket pole bracket. Whatever ski you buy will undoubtedly have some prop that's pitched way too high and you'll need a brand new hooker to replace it. The intake grate may be garbage and you'll need to replace that. Once you start spending big money, you'll probably won't want the heavy fiberglass waterbox from the SN. Steering and throttle cables may be crap.

Not trying to discourage you from buying an aftermarket hull since I went with the stunt hull for the same reasons you are. However, you may want to seriously consider what all the parts you really want will cost separately (or package deal) and see what a decent ski will run you plus all the parts you will still need to buy in addition to the complete ski. Then see which one will actually be cheaper or easier to obtain.

you are underestimating how much that other nickel and dime stuff adds up to be. Motor mounts, steering, steering cable, throttle cable, battery box, hoses, water box.....it REALLY adds up fast. You could easily spend $1500 on all that stuff even at bargain prices.

Exactly, add in some bolts, exhaust hoses, clamps, etc....it goes up real fast.

Not trying to discourage anyone either, it's great there is something affordable out there, just make sure you know what you are getting into cost wise a head of time. A plan is a good thing to have before buying things.

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
if you can get a complete running RN with a b pipe, the BOB hull (how much are they), and have 1000 left ud prob be in good shape, thats what id say to shoot for

Thanks for the feedback so far guys

The BoB hull was quoted out at 3.5k and 5k for carbon.

So unless the ski i get has a aftermarket pole on it i'm gonna be short I think. 1k for a rrp would only leave me 1.5k for a ski, which i doubt i can get a solid limited setup for 1.5k.

Ive seen some very nice ski's for 5-6k, might just be better off buying one of those now and saving up for the hull.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Why do you need a $1k pole? I'm selling a SN AC pole for $225 and I bought an ugly dent city RN AC pole that I've sanded, smoothed, and painted to look like new for a similar price.

You could also buy a decent SN for $2k-$3k and ride the piss out of it until you're positive you have the funds for the aftermarket hull.

That is a good point, I don't need the rrp, I just saw that was what they had on it. I know the guts swap across but will an sn ac pole fit the Bob which I assume is set up for a rn pole.

$3,500 shipped would be nice, I'm still guessing there will be shipping and taxes on top of that, I could be wrong. Just trying to help narrow down all the potential costs. I've been wracking my brain the last couple days figuring out everything needed if you are starting from scratch and the potential price.

And I'm not sure what poles will fit, I just threw the rrp out there because it obviously fits. You can probably find a good pole and bracket that would fit for less, but would still add a few hundred to the price. I'm guessing a stock RN or SN would work with the appropriate bracket.

grezzmky

Suckin paint fumes
I may star some controversy here but I still realy like my goose pole. bracket, pole, steering, chinpad, bars, clamps... 400 bux. its SUPER light and strong just kinda in raw form. I spent 30 min polishing (didnt even sand it) and it was good enough that if it were any better it would get scratched ud and water spotted anyway.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Is it $3500 shipped? I just bought the stunt hull and I thought I got a screamin' deal with under $200 shipping and I'll still have to drive a ways to get it. That is just NY to GA too. Highroller said UPS freight wanted $400 to ATL even with his account.

750sux

if you did buy a sn sj with a blown motor and put it all into the bob hull, would a 701 simply bolt right up to the the drive shaft and all that? the pump, driveshaft and all that are the same fromthe sn to the rn?

Top Bottom