Need somebody to foam my SJ!!!

fittyx2

I'm bringing X'y back
Need someone to foam my 92 Superjet. The tray separated on me and it was dripping for the longest time.

I'd take it on, but I have nowhere warm enough to do it, let alone anywhere to make that much mess.

I'm in the Hamilton Ontario area, but I will drive and drop/pickup.

Just want it done quick because it's getting colder each night, and she's my baby.

-Scotty

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Microwave the two parts separately (or otherwise warm them), then mix & pour.
Cold temps shouldn't be holding you back.

fittyx2

I'm bringing X'y back
that's not really why I'm worried about the cold... it's the water in the foam and the cold weather = ice = breaky=split apart hull.

I have no problem doing it, I just have nowhere to do it.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
It will not break your hull apart, absolutely not.
For that to happen, the entire back cavity would have to be filled to the top with water.
You're safe.

Ask around I am sure that one of your friends or someone knows somebody that has a mechanic shop or a body shop that you can work on your ski a couple days a week in the back corner. You can help out cleaning the shop so that you can use the corner of a heated shop for a few weeks.

Where there is a will there is a way. If you want you can run it down here to southern Illinois and I will give you a place to work and help you for a few days.

I don't know about a place to stay but I got a place to work...

fittyx2

I'm bringing X'y back
I'm a mechanic, and I have a shop that I work in, but there is no way in hell I would be allowed to make that mess in there.

And it must be pretty full, because after I pulled it from the lake, it dripped for two weeks straight from out of the driveshaft thru-hull.

-Scotty

theres no mess made with foaming a ski, unless you mix WAY too much.

DEfoaming is a different story.

are you talking about foaming or defoaming?

Defoaming doesn't make a mess either. The shop vac goes into the exhaust entrance and a wire cup brush on a die grinder eats the foam out and the vac sucks it up... I done mine and didn't have to sweep the floor. Just don't clean it with an air hose and your fine. You do have to keep the filter clean on the vacuum. I have done 2 or 3 skis that way quick and easy. Well quick as compared to the hack it with a prybar, maybe 2 hours to defoam.

accbr

addicted
Defoaming doesn't make a mess either. The shop vac goes into the exhaust entrance and a wire cup brush on a die grinder eats the foam out and the vac sucks it up... I done mine and didn't have to sweep the floor. Just don't clean it with an air hose and your fine. You do have to keep the filter clean on the vacuum. I have done 2 or 3 skis that way quick and easy. Well quick as compared to the hack it with a prybar, maybe 2 hours to defoam.

That's what I did. I didn't hardly get any foam on the floor.

fittyx2

I'm bringing X'y back
Does anything have to be removed engine/driveline wise, or is it fine to go as it is? I'm VERY noob on Yamaha machines, so much a that it's a little overwhelming.

Gimme a kawi tho... ;)
-Scotty

Go to walmart and get a 2 inch wire cup brush and 2 12 inch drill extensions. That will almost reach all the way to the bulkhead through the exhaust tube exit. And then you need a scupper valve but you have it defoamed so you need to build dual pump exit one way valves from home depot. Do a search there are a ton of threads on this topic..

Here is a thread of water weight that I posted. There is a picture that shows what the cup brush can reach just through the scupper hole or the exhaust. That picture is about 30 minutes of die grinder work with the above brush and attachments.

Cut the tray out, rienforce the sides of the hull, seal everything good as possible, install one of those little duck bill substitutes on each side of the hull, and never use foam again!!!!

I have tested the no foam theory, and it works! I have a slight leak in my tray area, but even after losing my Waterdawg hood this weeknd, the tray of my boat still stayed up like a bobber in over head surf.

You do not need foam in these boats for them to float! People just dont like hearing of new ways of doing things for some dumb arse reason.... my boat is lighter and stronger, by reinforcing, and ditching the foam..... and floats better when sunk compared to a boat with wet foam..... far better!!!!

Last edited:
I went that route also but I didn't reinforce anything. I have never been in the salt water so I am not going to beat my hull like the surf guys. But we will see how my test goes on a 96 hull. If she cracks up then I will fix it and reinforce when it does. But my theory is... the sides of the hull has no reinforcement in front of the bulkhead so why should my ski need it behind the bulkhead. Also the lake I ride on has an average depth of 12 feet so if she goes down you can find it easily. Plus it is insured for almost double what I have in it. Wish me luck.

Top Bottom