need to get rid of this loss , help

Waternut

Customizing addict
Sounds like you either don't have a primer or don't have a choke and are trying to get fuel in the lines by cranking only. If you don't have either of those, take the air filter off the carb and put your hand over it while cranking for a second or two...should fire right up.

Overnight your ski is likely to drain some fuel out of the lines/carb and make it hard to start. Most stock ski's use a choke but most people on here use a primer to pump a bit of gas into the engine and prime the lines.

Either way, the total loss is not your problem. Starting the ski is the issue. I've ridden all weekend with a bilge pump and all using total loss.

Total loss is not your problem. Starter, Jetting, something is wrong.

jetting ? what do you think the problem may be so i can do a check up on my ski and please tell me what to do :sad2::dunno:

Sounds like you either don't have a primer or don't have a choke and are trying to get fuel in the lines by cranking only. If you don't have either of those, take the air filter off the carb and put your hand over it while cranking for a second or two...should fire right up.

Overnight your ski is likely to drain some fuel out of the lines/carb and make it hard to start. Most stock ski's use a choke but most people on here use a primer to pump a bit of gas into the engine and prime the lines.

Either way, the total loss is not your problem. Starting the ski is the issue. I've ridden all weekend with a bilge pump and all using total loss.

there is no choke on this sj ,. am using 48 Novi with large flame arrestors and B bipe .. i removed the flame arrestors once , it backed fire .... someone told me to rise the ideal , but its not working , not even starting

oh and when i adjusted the ideal back now .. its working but with the same problem and sometimes it wants to start like sound like engine just started and turn off .. sometimes it start for exactly 1 sec and turn off .. then will have to hold the green botton for long time till its on

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
there is no choke on this sj ,. am using 48 Novi with large flame arrestors and B bipe .. i removed the flame arrestors once , it backed fire .... someone told me to rise the ideal , but its not working , not even starting

Ok took me a bit to figure that out but it's spelled IDLE... If you don't have a choke and you don't have a primer then that is your problem. The carb rarely has gas if it's been sitting for a day.

Don't remove the flame arrestor permanently. Remove it (temporarily), turn the fuel on, hit the start button with one hand, and place your other hand over the carb to seal it so no air can get in. You should hear the engine speed up when your hand is over the carb. After about a second of cranking remove your hand from the carb and continue cranking for another second or two. If it doesn't fire immediately, put your hand back over the carb, and continue cranking. Sometimes it may take me 2-3 tries to fire it up but it only takes about 5-10 seconds total. Now put the flame arrestor back on and ride the rest of the day.

You'll most likely end up with gas on your hand which is why primers and chokes are more preferred but this works too. If this works at least it will tell you what the problem is.

PS - I tried to get a video of this process in my garage but my POS camera doesn't have sound so you can't really tell what's going on. The concept of this is to remove air from the fuel lines and the carb by creating a vacuum in the carb. Once the air is out of the lines, you have smooth flowing fuel and the engine will run.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Am wondering why the owner didnt install primer kit ?? how he used to ride it ?? thats annoying issue

He was probably a procrastinator like myself... Since I have to order, pay shipping, and wait for parts like a primer, I usually just end up saying screw it and putting doing the quick fix of putting my hand over the carb.

99% of the time it works fine but that 1% when you're in the middle of the water and ran the fuel out of your primary fuel lines before switching to reserve, it really sucks.

He was probably a procrastinator like myself... Since I have to order, pay shipping, and wait for parts like a primer, I usually just end up saying screw it and putting doing the quick fix of putting my hand over the carb.

99% of the time it works fine but that 1% when you're in the middle of the water and ran the fuel out of your primary fuel lines before switching to reserve, it really sucks.

i just finished flushing the ski .. i removed the flame arrestors and put my hands ,. it worked

then i put back the flame arrestors once it was almost going to start ..

so if thats the problem .. am i going to do that everytime ?? go to the slipway , put my hands and fight with that carb ? no solve for this problem ? till now i never started my sj without a booster or sharing battery .. its killing me

more over i just broke my 06 sj pole while barrelrolling .. am really running out of luck

Last edited:

Lakeman

Stand Up All The Way
do you know what your comprission is on both cylinders?

Low comprission will make it hard to start and it won't run very good,

I had the same hard starting problem and I rebuilt my fuel pump with new gaskets and that fixed it.

I too have a total loss system and love it. I can get several days of riding on a oddessy battery.

Dale

i just finished flushing the ski .. i removed the flame arrestors and put my hands ,. it worked

so if thats the problem .. am i going to do that everytime ?? go to the slipway , put my hands and fight with that carb ? no solve for this problem ? till now i never started my sj without a booster or sharing battery .. its killing me

more over i just broke my 06 sj pole while barrelrolling .. am really running out of luck

INSTALL THE PRIMER

Waternut

Customizing addict

Glad to hear this is all the problem is...

Unless you get a primer kit...yes this is the only fix. I usually let the ski actually start and idle a couple seconds before putting the flame arrestor on but that's me. I don't know much about the novi carbs but aren't they based on the mikuni SBN's? If so I would think you could just get an SBN primer kit for $30 or so, install it, and be done. Prime it before you crank it at the beginning of the day and you're done.

do you know what your comprission is on both cylinders?

Low comprission will make it hard to start and it won't run very good,

I had the same hard starting problem and I rebuilt my fuel pump with new gaskets and that fixed it.

I too have a total loss system and love it. I can get several days of riding on a oddessy battery.

Dale

my comprission is around 210 .. ill try to find a primer kit , it wont affect on the overall performance ?

Waternut

Customizing addict
my comprission is around 210 .. ill try to find a primer kit , it wont affect on the overall performance ?

No, a primer will not affect performance at all. It's just two small fuel hoses tapped into the fuel lines and it injects fuel into the carb before starting. Great mod and good security for running your tank dry.

I take that back...it will probably make a performance difference for you purely because your battery will actually have a charge when you start riding.

Last edited:
No, a primer will not affect performance at all. It's just two small fuel hoses tapped into the fuel lines and it injects fuel into the carb before starting. Great mod and good security for running your tank dry.

I take that back...it will probably make a performance difference for you purely because your battery will actually have a charge when you start riding.

thank you , really appreciate everyone help .. that what makes X-h2o Rocks with its dear members :beerchug:

GIL

Power In The Hands Of Few
Offer still stands!!! 1 perfect COMPLETE oem ignition system w/ a 1 year old MSD enhancer in trade for your T/L system. My system is clean as a pin and also comes w/a lightened flywheel !!!

Top Bottom