new blaster owner, few Q's

hey all

i recently bought a 97 waveblaster 1.

i've taken it out 3 times, twice in the flat water, where i noticed it kept trying to leap out of the water constantly. i shimmed up the rear on the ride plate (riva groovy BTW) but haven been able to see if it made a difference, im not really sure if it will.
ive also been out in the surf and the prop is always grabbing air, i think i may need a more aggressive scoop grate? i have no idea if its that standard grate either.

other then that it runs well.

cheers Toby

yes, same shape. apparently Australia and other countries got the 97.

IMG_0449.jpg

and just wondering what intake grate this is?

IMG_0443.jpg

the constant hopping out of the water is annoying
and also on the fuel tap, point back is on and pointing forwards is reserve?

Last edited:
yes, same shape. apparently Australia and other countries got the 97.

IMG_0449.jpg

and just wondering what intake grate this is?

IMG_0443.jpg

the constant hopping out of the water is annoying
and also on the fuel tap, point back is on and pointing forwards is reserve?
QUOTE : '' constant hopping out of the water is annoying'' Don't worry this feeling will go away when you ride it where your suposed to ... strictly in the SURF!! .. Have fun ..... BTW this thread will help you more if you can list your engine and pump mod ''parts'' here . Hopping out of the water is a good start ,at least we know it runs good and has some power to start with .Thats a good thing !

Correct me if im wrong but thats not a 1997 yamaha waveblaster 800.. That looks like a 1993-1996 yamaha waveblaster 701. FOUND SOME PICS OF A REAL B-1 800.

Attachments

• 6451_673773.jpg
    6451_673773.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 28842459_1.jpg
    28842459_1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0078.jpg
    DSCF0078.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 102
In 97, Yamaha sold blasters 1s outside of the US, so it could be a 97. And I believe Australia is one of those places.

Scottie

its got a pro-tec pipe, riva waterbox and the standard twin carbs. i believe it is a 701, still has the standard head. i was told that it was all stock internally.

IMG_0448.jpg

as for the pump, i have no idea. its got a riva groovy rideplate, i would like to know if theres a way to tell what prop and scoop grate it has without removing either.

cheers, the last 2 numbers of the VIN are 97.

Last edited:
Take a pic of the intake we can probably tell you what it is. As for the prop, kind of hard to tell without taking it off and reading.

Really is a nice looking ski.

Scottie

The best prop for the blaster is a Hooker. With your set up, I would go 9/15. This prop offers great hook up and revs very quick - two things you want for surf riding.

Scottie

Try to pull the pump nozzle off , leave the pump in place , then use a flashlight and a extendable shop mirror to see the numbers'' I have done it'' ... I would say since the ski has a aftermarket ride plate and aftermarket intake grate ,that the prop likely would also be changed out , I did not think that the cast stainless props had a swirl sanding finish on them .. BTW I have a skat trak on the shelf with an identical nosepiece and finish on it . FWIW

thanks for you help guys.

has anyone got any ideas on the hopping issue, we get some perfect calm days here and it would be nice to cruise out to the islands.

also is there a way to identify what cylinder it has on it with a casting. the cases are 62t, but that means :):):):) to me, after reading 61x and 64 somethings i have no idea what the difference is.

as for the prop, i believe it is standard but was sent out for repair or something. also the ride plate and grate, are they worth keeping, what are the recommendations going around for riding in the surf, or its it all personal preference.

and also girdled heads vs aftermarket standard styles, whats the advantage?

cheers

that impeller looks like a skat trac im pretty much 100% sure. the factory yami impellers have hexigons at the tip. i heard that the stock blaster rideplates were just worth keeping and that R&D scoop grate is nice as hell you shouldnt have to ditch that im atill doing my homework on my blaster i just got i need to figure out the right pitch impeller for these bc mine wants to cavitate top end well see hope this helped

My boat has the same problem but I don't think it is as bad as it is for you.. I'm pretty sure shimming the ride plate will be enough for me. Have you water tested it since you shimmed it? Keep that intake grate.

yes, i put about three washers in between and the proposing basically stopped. but out in the surf i was landing very flat.
i think its a trade off between flat water and surf, but its a hellova lot more fun in the surf.

ItsRixter

SoCal Wav Jumping shiznit
Get a skat track ssl 13/18 prop (cheaper than a hooker prop), get a deeper scoop grate (like riva or R&D), keep your riva groovy ride plate, now lean forward- weight over the top of the bars.

So is your 97 blaster come stock with blue gelcoat or has it been repainted?

Top Bottom