New Guy

Hey whats up guys? I'm new to this sport and have only ridden a handful of times on my buddy's kawi 650 and I've been on the lookout for a ski recently. I've found a 1990 kawi js 650sx with a rebuilt motor, and a pipe for $750. You think this would be a good fit for me? And hows that price? I've been riding dirt bikes and quads my whole life so I catch on pretty quick to other toys. Oh yea I'm 6'3" and 190 pounds, if that matters. Thanks for any input.

josh

FyrHazard

Ski Eat Sleep Repeat
Welcome to the forum Josh!

IMO that's a little high for a 650SX. I'm about your size and a 650 feels pretty sluggish pretty fast. If you can scrounge together a little more cash, get yourself an old Superjet with a 701 and you'll be money ahead.

thanks for the quick reply man. I was looking at superjets but right now with my college budget they just seem out of my price range. I'm looking into more of the freestyle aspect of the sport, is a superjet better for beginning freestyle? I literally know nothing about skis, so all the help and info is greatly appreciated. thanks again

ger87410

How did I get here?
SJ is better for freestyle then Kawi, but Kawi is cheaper.

If you wanna start out and money is the most important factor, get a 550sx IMO.

But, how much is your budget? You'd still be looking at < $1k for a 650 SJ.

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
Get a SN
650sx is the worst of the kawis IMHO
550 = OK, 750 = better
Yamaha SN = Best!!!

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Also, just as a bit of help...

SJ = Superjet
SN = Squarenose superjet (came in a 650 or 701cc)
RN = Roundnose superjet (701)

With all the abbreviations flying around here, sometimes people forget that new members don't know what they all mean. I can't tell you how long it took me to catch on! lol

Also, just as a bit of help...

SJ = Superjet
SN = Squarenose superjet (came in a 650 or 701cc)
RN = Roundnose superjet (701)

With all the abbreviations flying around here, sometimes people forget that new members don't know what they all mean. I can't tell you how long it took me to catch on! lol

haha thanks man, i figured thats what the abbreviations meant. but how does a square nose and roundnose compare to one another, besides shape? any noticeable differences?

thanks for all the input guys

haha thanks man, i figured thats what the abbreviations meant. but how does a square nose and roundnose compare to one another, besides shape? any noticeable differences?

thanks for all the input guys

bottom deck is the same, only the top is different so the will ride about the same. The RNs are sexy from the factory, the SNs take alot of work to look good. Yamaha>Kawi. Although i havent ridden my fx-1 yet the build quality and design is so much better then my 550. Then again my 550 is from 88 and my fx is from 95 so...

stanton

High on jetskis.
squares are great starter skis and are holding their value. so ride it, dont drop too much money on it, if you like then step up to a rn.
your looking for a yamaha. period!
oh and SURF! stay off the lakes. ;)

Last edited:
well it looks like everyone on here has a yamaha for a reason. what makes the superjet so much better than a kawi? reliability, power, weigh, control etc? And I'm talking about the 650 models, no way i can get a sj 701.

well i bought the kawi 650. its a 91 with a west coast pipe, bars, finger throttle, a stiffer spring in the handle? and i think thats it...only paid 500 bucks for it tho. you guys cant tell me this wasnt a good deal

jap7t8

Spring Fever...
Congrats on the buy! Like stredman said, at least you can get out there now. Its a learning process in the begining no matter what kind of ski you are on.

Top Bottom