New Hand primer??

So i have a little black, thumb primer, for my fuel system. But it doesn't really work, and I always have to pour gas in the cylinders, to get the ski running. Im lucky if I ride the ski once every 2 weeks, so it always needs to be re-primed everytime I ride. Where can I find a replacement primer online?? I searched on google, but didn't come across anything.

Shifty

- SuperJet Thursday -
I think you will find you only have two options. There is a bulb type (the one you listed) and the plunger type which you may currently own. I have always had good luck with the plunger type, althought the JSS one is pretty neat with the guard and all. You can find that bulb primer without the plate and guard if you wanted to save a few bucks.

What ski do you have, where is your current primer mounted? I think the two types of primers have the same body diameter so they are interchangable as far as hole size goes.

Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
the plunger and bulb type fit through the same holes
I upgraded to the bulbs type, both failed VERY quickly (like months)
so I went back tothe plunger style and they are workign fine

plunger type requires a 3/4" hole, the bulb type is smaller at 9/16" (on a r/n you can run a 9/16 SAE tap through the ss plate that normally holds the choke and screw the bulb type right in)

stanton

High on jetskis.
primer? just another part to fail. lil gas down the carb from the fuel line and braap or cover the air intake with your hand till it fires up.

thanks for the comments and suggestions guys. so any idea where i can actually buy a plunger type primer?? my ski only gets used for about a month a year, so if i have to replace the plunger every year, thats fine. but i like the comfort of the ski starting, on the few occassions i get to use it. instead of having to pull the hood off every time.

smoofers

Rockin' the SQUARE!!!!
Site Supporter
I have used both button and plunger type primers also. In my experience, the bulb type primers rip and fail VERY quickly. Get a plunger.

I have used both button and plunger type primers also. In my experience, the bulb type primers rip and fail VERY quickly. Get a plunger.

I have had to replace the bulb type once a season... going back to plunger. They seem to last 2-3 years before they fail. Nothing like gas in the eye from a busted bulb :eek:uch:

SJBrit

Extraordinary Alien
instead of having to pull the hood off every time.

It's not a bad thing to have to pull the hood off regularly. You need to be pulling the hood off when you're done riding in any case to let the engine bay dry out properly and to alleviate pressure on your hood seal. I always like to see inside my engine compartment before I ride each time too - a quick visual inspection is no bad thing.

On the subject of primers, they are consumables. You just have to get used to replacing them regularly and always keep a spare handy (not only do they stop working, but they can also become sources of an air leak which is much worse). If you're mounting on the dash, the one bad thing about the plunger type is that they are real toe-crunchers!

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
It's not a bad thing to have to pull the hood off regularly. You need to be pulling the hood off when you're done riding in any case to let the engine bay dry out properly and to alleviate pressure on your hood seal. I always like to see inside my engine compartment before I ride each time too - a quick visual inspection is no bad thing.

On the subject of primers, they are consumables. You just have to get used to replacing them regularly and always keep a spare handy (not only do they stop working, but they can also become sources of an air leak which is much worse). If you're mounting on the dash, the one bad thing about the plunger type is that they are real toe-crunchers!

VERY good point. I've had it happen twice. Scary :):):):). Thank God I had learned on this site to grab a handful of throttle to kill the runaway engine.

Top Bottom