SX/SXi/SXi Pro New here. Just bought a '94 sx, have a few Q's

Hi everyone! I just bought a stock 1994 750 sx and love it. My dad has an '87 650 sx since new, and its modified a bit. His rides smooth as silk, has loads of bottom end grunt and had the same top end speed as my stock 750.

I dont want to modify much, but would like to achieve modest gains with small changes if possible, if not, no big deal. I play around in a bay, and will venture to the lakes and rivers eventually, but I dont race. The bay can be smooth as glass or very choppy at times, so I want a well-rounded setup. Id rather leave the prop alone because I like my top end.

My biggest question comes from the porpoising. Ive ridden the ski plenty and tried adjusting my weight every which way to get rid of porpoising. Im 5'11 and 170 lbs. Many times I can get rid of it, but sometimes I dont have any luck. Im looking at either a Worx extended D-cut plate, or a Jet Dynamics plate. What are the Pros and Cons of both plates?

Also, what sort of air intake and exhaust modifications can be done without having to re-jet the carburetor, as well as keep it as close to the stock Air/Fuel settings as possible?

Thanks everyone!

leave the air intake alone, if your not doing tons of mods the stock box will be fine and it helps keep the water out better than any AM setup, as far as exhaust the only way to go is a fp limited pipe. there is one for sale on this site for 500. you will have to re jet but its no big deal. the only other mod you could do to gain more power without re jetting is a timing advance plate, msd enhancer and a lightweight flywheel. those are all good mods but for the money the fp limited will net the best gains. I also think you would like a different impeller, going to a 9/17 or 13/18 wont effect your top end that much but getting rid of the stock flexy impeller will really help you low end punch. Also to stop the bouncing a nice intake grate will make a huge difference as will a extended ride plate. I prefer R&D for both. I have tried several others and went back to the R&D. Spend the extra coin up front so you dont have to worry about doing it again later.

Thanks for the quick and thorough response! So Ive ruled out the Jet Dynamics because thats more of a freestyle plate, and I dont really freestyle. Im torn between the R&D pro series extended and Worx extended with D-cut.

What would the D-cut change in the handling and why did you go back to the handling of the R&D? I like the descriptions of both and they appear to be very very similar with the exception of the cut

I like the R&D bc it is flat and will still slide around easily but is long enough to create good nose pressure so carving is possible. the d cut in worx plate is supposed to help you plane quicker by causing a little drag when the ski is angled up. I tried one and didnt like it but at the time I also had 4" extensions and it was just too much nose pressure so my opinion will be inaccurate. either one will do fine, I just like the option to ride fast/straight and be able to flick it around. Just make sure you hang on to the stocker so you can d-cut it later and have a freestyle plate. That is my favorite plate now by far

I agree with "sxipro02" 9/17 skat big hub swirl prop, R&D timing advance kit. R&D toploader intake grate, R&d Extended Ride plate. I put a r&d exhaust on mine and didnt notice a huge differance over stock exhaust but I also havent dried it out very much yet. I personally have these except the extended plate. and I have the best bottom end grunt and the fastest top speed at 52mph than all my buddys with all differant ski's that i ride with. I have a stock ride plate that i D cut and i hated it.

sjl

Hi everyone! I just bought a stock 1994 750 sx and love it. My dad has an '87 650 sx since new, and its modified a bit. His rides smooth as silk, has loads of bottom end grunt and had the same top end speed as my stock 750.

I dont want to modify much, but would like to achieve modest gains with small changes if possible, if not, no big deal. I play around in a bay, and will venture to the lakes and rivers eventually, but I dont race. The bay can be smooth as glass or very choppy at times, so I want a well-rounded setup. Id rather leave the prop alone because I like my top end.

My biggest question comes from the porpoising. Ive ridden the ski plenty and tried adjusting my weight every which way to get rid of porpoising. Im 5'11 and 170 lbs. Many times I can get rid of it, but sometimes I dont have any luck. Im looking at either a Worx extended D-cut plate, or a Jet Dynamics plate. What are the Pros and Cons of both plates?

Also, what sort of air intake and exhaust modifications can be done without having to re-jet the carburetor, as well as keep it as close to the stock Air/Fuel settings as possible?

Thanks everyone!
try a watercross of texas intake grate if you can get one

Hey guys I'm back. I went with a Worx ride plate since I found someone who sold me theirs. Seemed to help unless i was running flat out, then it felt loose. But no major complaints!

Anyway, I'm looking into a new prop for this season. (My ski has no modifications other than the plate) I'd like to get better low end grunt with sacrificing as little top end as possible. As mattchow88 said, the skat-trak 9/17 seems like a good option, but Ive read that the swirl props were for acceleration and not top end. Are all of skat traks 9/17 the same swirl prop or do they have different versions? Ive also been looking at the Solas Concord 11/16 as it is recommended for a stock engine.

Hey guys I'm back. I went with a Worx ride plate since I found someone who sold me theirs. Seemed to help unless i was running flat out, then it felt loose. But no major complaints!

Anyway, I'm looking into a new prop for this season. (My ski has no modifications other than the plate) I'd like to get better low end grunt with sacrificing as little top end as possible. As mattchow88 said, the skat-trak 9/17 seems like a good option, but Ive read that the swirl props were for acceleration and not top end. Are all of skat traks 9/17 the same swirl prop or do they have different versions? Ive also been looking at the Solas Concord 11/16 as it is recommended for a stock engine.

Not all 9/17's are the same. Pretty sure this is the one sxipro02 is referring to: http://impros.com/store/index.php/i...skat-trak-kawasaki-140-75-swirl-impeller.html

gemiller

h2o addiction
I'm running a Jet Dynamics scoop grate and the JD extended ride plate and it runs pretty well, wide open it still bounces a little but i'm also 6'6" and 240lbs which is a lot of weight out back. I think a shorter handle pole would make more difference then anything since I'm forced back a little because of how long the factory pole is.

Top Bottom