New Here, picked up a js550

Hello, i am new to the jet ski world but not to two strokes and small engines, i always had snowmobiles, quads, and trikes. But i just picked up a nice 87 js 550 that needs a decent amount of engine work including a crank. But anyways i was wondering how these skis are? Common mods? Things to do to it? And well any other info.

Thanks Guys!

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
I keep an 89 JS550 as my "buddy ski." It is a good platform to learn on (both riding and wrenching), but they don't have a tremendous amount of potential. That being said, performance mods are numerous and inexpensive. The JS hulls are pretty light and nimble, so they're a fun ride for a beginner.

I'm not going do any engine mods on mine because I'm going to drop the Yamaha 650 engine from my Superjet into my 550 Hull once I get a bigger motor. If you want some 6 degree handlebars for your 550, I'd be happy to sell you some that I used for cheap. They're a great improvement from the stock V bars that really constrict your grip.

I keep an 89 JS550 as my "buddy ski." It is a good platform to learn on (both riding and wrenching), but they don't have a tremendous amount of potential. That being said, performance mods are numerous and inexpensive. The JS hulls are pretty light and nimble, so they're a fun ride for a beginner.

I'm not going do any engine mods on mine because I'm going to drop the Yamaha 650 engine from my Superjet into my 550 Hull once I get a bigger motor. If you want some 6 degree handlebars for your 550, I'd be happy to sell you some that I used for cheap. They're a great improvement from the stock V bars that really constrict your grip.
I was actually considering a 650 swap, but I might just rebuild the 550 and build it for better performance, and I may be interested in those bars just my ski has aftermarket bars on it but I don't know what they are and if their an improvement and I don't know how to tell either

so happy this thread now exists!

I think I am annoying some with my overlapping threads. However, since this craft is possibly going to be my replacement I do want to hear what i would then do with it if I did get one. For example, even though an xscream engine sounds dumb for a 440, would it make more sense for this ski?

good luck!

King Kang

The bars I have are too similar (if not identical) to the ones you've already got for you to notice a difference. You should think about replacing that thumb throttle with a finger throttle though.

@Mikesee: did you ever post pics of your 440?

swapmeet

Brotastic
If it was my ski, i'd go with a yamaha 650 swap (although i'm not familiar with how difficult the actual swap is.) They're cheap, they have a lot more torque than a 550, the carb is easier to tune, etc etc etc.

I definitely wouldn't sink a bunch of $ into the original motor. For the money you'll spend you can likely buy a complete replacement 550 or something 'hotter.'

Not trying to smash your dreams or crap on your ski. 550's are fun. But this comes from a guy who's first ski was a 76' JS440 about 5-6 years ago. If I knew then what I know now... I would listen to me lol.

Welcome to the sport/ hobby! Its a lot of fun, and it can get real expensive real fast.

The bars I have are too similar (if not identical) to the ones you've already got for you to notice a difference. You should think about replacing that thumb throttle with a finger throttle though.

@Mikesee: did you ever post pics of your 440?
Whats the advantage of finger throttle?

King Kang

With a finger throttle, you use your thumb to hold onto the bars and get better grip. I also found the thumb throttle awkward.

Ski actually looks pretty good.

I'd just focus on seeing what you have and get it running if possible. Pull the engine if you haven't already and find out what it's condition REALLY is. It may be cheaper than you think to get it running. A 550 is going to be plenty of fun as is. Rebuild the engine and put new turf on it, a set of grips and RIDE it. Don't let it turn into an unfinished project you will sell to someone else some day. You want to actually ride this thing right?

Be aware that you will need to carefully align engine, drive shaft, and impeller if you remove engine or pump. It's not simple but it's not difficult either, there is plenty of info on how to do it.

I have a 440 only slightly modified (after market exhaust, bars, impeller and extended ride plate) and ride it twice per week, still not bored with it! Just picked up a second 440 with a 550 top end, so yeah they are fun.

Ski actually looks pretty good.

I'd just focus on seeing what you have and get it running if possible. Pull the engine if you haven't already and find out what it's condition REALLY is. It may be cheaper than you think to get it running. A 550 is going to be plenty of fun as is. Rebuild the engine and put new turf on it, a set of grips and RIDE it. Don't let it turn into an unfinished project you will sell to someone else some day. You want to actually ride this thing right?

Be aware that you will need to carefully align engine, drive shaft, and impeller if you remove engine or pump. It's not simple but it's not difficult either, there is plenty of info on how to do it.

I have a 440 only slightly modified (after market exhaust, bars, impeller and extended ride plate) and ride it twice per week, still not bored with it! Just picked up a second 440 with a 550 top end, so yeah they are fun.
Yeah I definitly want to get it on the water, I always finish my projects so I definitely plan on getting it done, engine is already apart with a bad rod bearing and I already got a parts list and started a wanted thread on here which has been a huge help

Top Bottom