2017 SXR or Superjet

• Total voters
There is a group of guys that ride at Dunedin / honeymoon. They are mostly surf riders. They can be found on this site in the "duck pond" but I don't think they frequent the site as much. @JamesG @AtomicPunk The group rides mostly superjet, modified superjet and aftermarket freeride.

There is a group of riders that ride Lake Seminole. They are mostly racers and set up bouys. They can be found on Facebook St. Pete Standup Crew. The group rides mostly SXR 800 stock and limited, hydrospace 951 and SXR 1100, SXR1500, sport spec.

Edit: Xmetal is based in Clearwater. They sometimes test and practice at lake Seminole if you are interested in flatwater. Just know that theres nothing budget friendly about flatwater.

You can try out my superjet if you want to meet up at Lake Seminole Thursday, Friday or Saturday of this week. I don't take very good care of it, so you will have to deal with the fact that half the turf is falling off such, but it runs pretty good.

You should be looking at a Superjet or the SXR800, not the SXR1500 which wont be any good for freeride. I'm not going to tell you to buy a superjet. Superjet has an advantage in our smaller surf but the SXR stability has an advantage in our frequent ridiculous, not even a little clean, chopped up surf.

My advice is always the same. The best 1st ski is the one that can get you out meeting people. A clean stock SXR that runs like a top is better than a highly modified superjet that breaks frequently even in the cleanest of surf. Condition condition condition. Reliability is king for new riders.

Super helpful advice here, thanks! Since the post, I put $100 to start my build of a 17' Superjet. I liked/followed the St Pete group on FB. Not sure if Xmetal is a group but I couldn't locate it on FB. I'm looking for hooning around so I decided the SJ is more aligned with those goals. It seems like the SXR is too big/heavy to do any freestyling on. Seems like an awesome ski though. I'll probably upgrade to quick steering and a wider bar immediately and possibly add a bilge pump. I'd imagine the bilge doesn't have to happen right away as a brand new ski should be watertight.

I imagine you mean by flatwater becoming expensive means I will need to increase the power of my ski? Care to elaborate on this one?

I really appreciate the offer of allowing me to test out your ski but as I mentioned, I'll have mine by this weekend!

chixwithtrix

Addicted
You dont need need insurance or a license for a new 2 stroke even when you buy new with financing mybe in texas but thats new to me if you do! i bought mine brand new needed neither !your best bet is to see what the guys you hang with do down their in fla they should know the ropes! If you listen to everyones 2 sence you will get realy confused! And deal with thrust or jetmaniac in fla they are both very helpfull good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
My husband works at a powersports dealer and it is required. However, some dealers may be loose on the terms. Two strokes and EPA and all make it 'closed course racing only'. Silly if you ask me, but hey, government.

how many gears in your tranny?

op,get a superjet and don't look back.
6 Spd manual, the only way to roll ;)

Ah, my bad. Should have checked the name. I'm cool with anyone who wants to ride. Do you ride at the Causeway? Could use some friends to get started.
I live in Texas, but would love to hit up Florida sometime for a Tour race or some freeriding. Beautiful ocean compared to the brown water we have here hahah. Have fun!

chixwithtrix

Addicted
I imagine you mean by flatwater becoming expensive means I will need to increase the power of my ski? Care to elaborate on this one?
Basically flat water requires more power/bigger engines to get you in the air vs ocean waves launching you into orbit with little power needed.
Think of flat water like a flat field, you have to generate all your air/tricks from set up wakes and engine power/hull pop.

E350

Site Supporter
chix: If you don't mind me asking, your avatar reminds me that my wetsuit booties nearly get dragged off when I drag a foot like that. So, what do you recommend for footwear?

P.S. I forwarded your first part How to Ride a Stand Up article to a Czech buddy of mine. (He kayaks and windsurfs and was famous for saying "I do no sport with a ball" when I met him at lunch looking at the Maw of Big Ike on the Klammath about 10 years after he escaped from the the Soviet Union. My reply was "I do no sport with an engine." 25 years after first meeting him, I can no longer say that...

chixwithtrix

Addicted
chix: If you don't mind me asking, your avatar reminds me that my wetsuit booties nearly get dragged off when I drag a foot like that. So, what do you recommend for footwear?

P.S. I forwarded your first part How to Ride a Stand Up article to a Czech buddy of mine. (He kayaks and windsurfs and was famous for saying "I do no sport with a ball" when I met him at lunch looking at the Maw of Big Ike on the Klammath about 10 years after he escaped from the the Soviet Union. My reply was "I do no sport with an engine." 25 years after first meeting him, I can no longer say that...
haha, good stuff!

As far as footwear - I like the Asics wrestling shoes quite a bit. Good feel, small footprint, flexible, and has some ankle protection. Fairly cheap too!

Top Bottom