Super Jet New SJ owner...just saying hello & have a question.

Hey all. I've been mulling over getting my first stand-up for awhile, & when I saw the '12's were gonna be sold as "competition only use" I pulled the trigger on an '11 the follwing week because I wanted a ski I could register. So far I've been having a blast with it. I have a couple 80+ mph runabouts('07 GPR & '08 SHO) that haven't been wet once since I got the SJ. I'm still not brave enough to head out into the surf with it yet & have been keeping the training wheels on riding lake water. Living in SoFla, I can't believe I didn't get one of these years ago. BTW, great site you guys have here! I've been learning a lot.

So far I've added the Riva grate & plate, FA's, pole spring, UMI steering, Wamiltons steering plate, 0* bars & Protec nozzle. I have the ADA head, B-pipe, MSD, VF3 reeds & Skat 12/17 ready to go on but decided to wait with those mods til I get my skills up a little. I'll probably go ahead & have the manifolds & pipe port matched before doing the next round of installs, but will wait on porting the jugs for awhile because I have another project boat sucking funds at the moment.

My question is: I know the Worx 228 is the preferred grate here, but was told by Wamiltons they were seeing lots of cracked shoes using them on the '08+ SJ's. Thats why I went with the Riva for now. Anyone else have this issue? I'll likely eventually replace the shoe with the Blowsion/JD aluminum shoe because I'm not real impressed with OEM plastic piece. Is there a significant difference in handling with the Worx compared to what I have now? The Riva hooks up & handles night & day better than stock, so I'm just wondering if it's worth changing once I upgrade the shoe & what the difference in handling will be.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Get the pump shoe from xr-tech.com, much nicer IMO. I was told by one of the pro riders, on the 08 up they are running a stock intake grate since the newer hull has so much hookup already, they need it to slide more in the surf.

Last edited:
Get the pump shoe from xr-tech.com, much nicer IMO. I was told by one of the pro riders, on the 08 up they are running a stock intake grate since the newer hull has so much hookup already, they need it to slide more in the surf.
Yeah I saw those too, but also read a thread saying it required lots of grinding to get it blueprinted to a 144 pump. I also saw mixed reports on the fit of the JD shoe, but saw this on the Blowsion site:
Redesigned and incredible easy fit. Replace that easily broken OEM Yamaha intake duct with this unbreakable aluminum replacement. Fits all years SJ and Blaster.
There was a recent poster using the JD shoe that said it was an easy fit, so I'm assuming it's been redesigned to fit better. I guess I'll cross that bridge later...mostly interested in the difference in handling with the Worx grate.

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
the Xr ones only took minor slotting of one or two of the mounting holes and a tiny bit of sanding on one side, could have been the diff in hulls, idk.

when I saw the '12's were gonna be sold as "competition only use" I pulled the trigger on an '11 the follwing week because I wanted a ski I could register.

Did a dealer tell you this? The Yamaha dealers in NJ are saying you can register them and you don't need any type of race license for the 2012 models. I think Yamaha is just saying that to cover themselves.

Top Bottom