Super Jet New Square owner with a steering question

Hello. I just picked up my first stand up ski today-- a bone stock 1994 SJ.

I first rode a stand up ski a few weeks ago when my friend was given a 1987 650sx. I was immediately hooked. I feel like stand-ups are all the exhilaration of dirtbikes glued to the fun of wakeboarding-- a great combination.

I was able to get the ski on the lake for only about 15 minutes today, but right away I noticed it handles much differently than the 650sx does. In some ways good, but others, not so much. While the SJ is quite a bit more stable to get standing, I find that it feels more disconnected from the water in terms of rolling side to side. It also feels like it floats much higher in the water and is more willing to jump out of it. At the same time, though, I noticed it also creates a ton more wake, which allowed me to actually create a set-up wake for a simple jump or two.

These concerns are things that I think I will get used to with time. The main issue I had, though, was that when going straight (also, it's worth noting the lake was total glass today) and getting higher in speed the ski would start to "wobble" back and forth a bit. It almost felt how you would imagine the ski would behave if the reduction nozzle were loose and were "flapping" side to side a bit. It became difficult to keep the ski pointed straight and I'd have to get out of the throttle. It also felt like a speed-wobble on a skateboard.

Is there something I can look into that could be causing this, or is this normal?

Also, I'd like to do a pipe and prop to keep up with my friends 650. The SJ is lacking a bit on the top-end compared to the 650, which has about every bolt-on except a prop. I'm concerned though, that more top-end will be useless if it's going to wobble like it seems to want to.

y3zz.png

Last edited:
What intake grate and ride plate are you running? Stock also?

Yes, both stock.

your still new and this is normal, as you progress it will be no big deal. you can buy sponsons or ''tubbies'' to make it more stable. I have a pipe for sale and an high comp head and a few parts you may be interested in speed and performance wise. text me, 209-404-2186 and heres a parts link http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/136489-Superjet-parts-protec-exhaust-heads-carbs-Gopro-mount-AC-pole

Interesting. I'll need to read up on that particular pipe, and a few other parts.

Last edited:
Sorry I broke my phone and my pas haven't been sending. Just text me 209-404-2186 btw theres no build thread on my ski because I didn't build it, just fixed it up after I bought it and it blew up on me. But ive put a lot of work Into it

So...update.

I got more time to ride this weekend and...I frickin love this thing. I can cut turns WAY harder than the 650sx, to the point that comparing them is laughable. Also, the SJ has an assload more low end than the 650sx. It is still all stock too.

So, next question, will a B-pipe kill that low end pull, or fatten the whole powerband? I know a pipe on a two stroke will always have an RPM range in which is it most effective, but does that mean there areas outside that powerband will see a loss in power as compared to stock, or just no significant gain over stock?

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
So...update.

I got more time to ride this weekend and...I frickin love this thing. I can cut turns WAY harder than the 650sx, to the point that comparing them is laughable. Also, the SJ has an assload more low end than the 650sx. It is still all stock too.

So, next question, will a B-pipe kill that low end pull, or fatten the whole powerband? I know a pipe on a two stroke will always have an RPM range in which is it most effective, but does that mean there areas outside that powerband will see a loss in power as compared to stock, or just no significant gain over stock?

B-pipe will give you more low end. High comp head will also give you more low end. But before you dump a bunch of money into the 650, try and find a 701 to drop in it. Watch craigslist for old sit down yamaha jetskis that come up for sale and find one with a 700 in it. You will be able to bolt it right into your sj.

550headache

tobacco grower
is the prop stock(cast aluminum) if so first mod should be a nice stainless impeller for it! then get a pipe. b pipes are the cats ass but big $$$. I would get trumps pipe and run it for the rest of the season. sell it in the spring and then get a b pipe.

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
If ski is all stock, then best first upgrade is to replace the terrible cavitating, thick bladed oem aluminum prop with a SS thin blade hooker 9/15. This will make huge difference all over.

The bpipe will increase power over the whole powerband with no losses anywhere. ADA head will increase power most noticeable in the low and mid range by increases compression and tighter squish band design.

your still new and this is normal, as you progress it will be no big deal. you can buy sponsons or ''tubbies'' to make it more stable. I have a pipe for sale and an high comp head and a few parts you may be interested in speed and performance wise. text me, 209-404-2186 and heres a parts link http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/136489-Superjet-parts-protec-exhaust-heads-carbs-Gopro-mount-AC-pole

Tubbies for a beginner will make the skis wobble side to side wayyy worse at higher speeds.. Just saying. Super stable at low speeds at least. You'll get used to it quick though, just be careful. Especially with tubbie 2's, but they hammer corners like you wouldn't believe once you figure them out.

My suggestion is to get a prop, pipe, scoop, tubbies, rideplate and new steering system and the ski will be very very nice. Yeah I know that sounds like, get this, this, this, this and this and spend a ton of money on every little thing, but I believe those are necessary mods to a good squarenose. Can't go wrong with budget parts like a pro-tec pipe, by the way.

Last edited:

CRJ

Hibernating
nice find! i have the identical ski. an intake grate will help as will a ride plate. im assuming what your getting is a chine walk. tubbies will help that, but after a bit you will get used to it and overcome it. a prop and a stator will help big time. a head, pipe, and even a ignition system are all plusses.

i was in the same boat as you a couple seasons ago. Bought a bone stock 650 square. That winter, found a 701, 9/15 hooker, ada girdled head with 35cc domes, solas mag flow pump (not really necessary unless you got $500 laying around) Should have put that money towards a b-pipe like everyone told me to begin with.

the more you ride, the more comfortable you will get with the stance of the ski in the water, fast... slow... doesnt matter. usually once i feel that wobble i will lean slightly to one side and turn just a little bit, helps the pump hook a little better i think.

Last edited:
My opinion is to not worry about that wobble or sticking sponsons on it. You'll figure out how to avoid the wobble. I had the issue to at first. Where you place your feet is HUGE on the superjet. And what you're about to do also depends on where you place you're feet.

You can easily stay over 30 mph even on a stock 650 like mine by just timed throttle blips through the rpm range once you get going fast. When you feel you are about to lose control let off the throttle and then smoothly bring it back on to full and repeat.

Learning the superjet is the best thing ever. After 3 years riding stand ups many hours per season and a 1 1/2 seasons on a superjet I'm still figuring out new techniques and have NOTHING mastered.

Top Bottom