300/440/550 New stand up.. UPDATE questions!

So I bought a 1996 1100 yamaha wave runner with only 50 hours on it to tow my 12yr old daughter around and do fun stuff, and of COURSE it needed a carb rebuild.. so while doing that I started searching the internet and, well, before I knew it I stumbled across standups (rode one once when I was 16) and was completely sucked into needing a standup jet ski... my budget is totally screwed now after the wave runner, but I found a few things around to trade, and I am picking up a 1989 440 tomorrow!! According to owner has been run recently and is in good shape, modified with rear exhaust, and some other stuff. Looks like it has been mostly run in fresh water, hull looks clean no damage. Will look inside the spark plug holes for piston damage, and maybe ride it first if I can, but so far it looks promising. Can't find my compression tester so I'll have to make an educated guess.

So anyway I was totally bummed because it seemed like I was going to be out riding like a total kook on an old fart ski, but I found this forum and it made my night to see a bunch of guys loving these old kawasaki's. I love vintage stuff, and I have a special fondness for the old kawasakis, wanting one badly since I was a kid.

So thank you. Will post pics, and asking about paint jobs shortly :D

Last edited:
WELL........

I went out to look at the Jet Ski, and was told now it wouldn't start. I pulled the plugs and looked at the tops of the pistons which seemed fine. Plugs looked golden brown. Primer pump would not squirt fuel into the carbs on either ON or RES setting. Choked the carb with my hand while trying to start to try to suck some fuel into the carb, and still no fuel getting to the engine. Sprayed a small quirt of carb starter into the carb, and still no start, not even an attempt.

Pulled the plugs and checked for spark, nice blue spark on both plugs. sprayed a little carb starter into the cylinders, re-installed plugs, still will not fire. Found some premixed fuel, poured a little into the carb... still will not fire. Also starter will only grab for 1 to 2 seconds, and then "spins" without turning over engine.

Compression seems strong but I did not have my tester. Did not seem like it needed a top end. No idea why it wouldn't start? Fuel tank was half full, fuel cap tight, but no fuel getting to the carb. Pulled a line going to the fuel filter, and it was dry.

Clearly a fuel problem, but is there more? Why wouldn't it at least fire up for a second or two after squirting fuel into both carb and cylinders?

Hull had lots of deep scratches under the water line, exhaust was modded and brought out the rear, under the fire extinguisher, where it was sealed with silicone (?). Found a few small dings (shattered) areas on the upper sides of the hull. Owner says he will have a mechanic friend look at it. He was asking $600 which seemed fair if it was running, and said he would call me when he got it started. I had to get back to work so I couldn't play with it any longer.

I should have grabbed some more pictures but I forgot.

Opinions? Could use some advice here. Should I wait for something better? Thanks.

Thanksjs440a.jpgjs440b.jpg

Last edited:
$600 seems to be a little on the higher end. I picked up a mint 91 440 2 years ago that ran and had no issues and very low hours for $500.

Should have at least tried to fire up with fuel dumped down the carbs.

If it turns out to run only you can decide what your willing to pay.

Jon

$600 seems to be a little on the higher end. I picked up a mint 91 440 2 years ago that ran and had no issues and very low hours for $500.

Should have at least tried to fire up with fuel dumped down the carbs.

If it turns out to run only you can decide what your willing to pay.

Jon

Thanks, I thought it seemed to maybe be the high end but wasn't sure. It's definitely not mint, far from it, and there are some issues. Also, I have no idea who did the rear exhaust mod and if it was done / tuned correctly or not.

I think I may pass on this one, keep saving, and try to find something in better condition from someone who cared well for it ... I can't take on a big project right now.

Agree, with fuel dumped in the carbs, not starting had me concerned.

Seller was nice, but didn't know much about it mechanically which didn't help.

Last edited:
In my opinion, I would wait for something better. But, i think it also depends on your area, im here in SoCal and it seems like we have a fairly good selection of 440/550's for sale at any time. For $600 i'd expect a perfect running 440. With the issues just getting it fired up i would say $400 would be closer to what i'd pay. Just compensating myself for diagnosing and then fixing the problem.

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
As others have said, something is squirrly with that 440, I'd write it off and keep looking.

Just food for thought, and i'm guessing at these prices because they vary regionally...

Running RTR ski:
440 - $500ish
550 - $750ish
650 superjet $1000ish

I'd hold out for a 550, My first ski was a 440 and I hated it after I rode a Square Nose Superjet with a stock 650.

550's are pretty fun though...

Good luck regardless... and welcome to the X!

Hey thanks guys, really appreciate your help. There is a local group of guys who meet and run a course on a lake near me.. maybe I can find a good running ski through them.

Sanoman

thecolorpurple
Just offer the guy a small amount of cash (bring cash with you!) and see what he says.Could be something real simple.Getting it running and resale.

All he can do is say no.

Well, seller called me said he got it started, decided to have another look.

Seller said he had emptied the fuel filter before I cam over the first time so he could move it around on a cart, and there must have been air in the lines. Son (who actually rode it) came and got the air out of the lines and it started it right up. Still kinda weird that it didn't kick over when I poured a little premix down the carb the first time, but it was definitely running fine this time, and did start for me first try.

So I traded something for it, will ride it and tinker with it while I save for a newer ski. Can always give it to my daughter when she turns 14.

Will post pics later so you can tell me what I got myself into :D

Ok here's what I ended up with... spent some time looking it over and it seems fine other than a questionable hull repair. Rear exhaust actually looks like it was done well... anyone recognize this as one of their old jet skis?

There is a PJS extended ride plate, pole spring, primer pump, PJS Pipe, stainless prop, rear exhaust, aftermarket bars (0 or 2 degree? kicker bend? i dunno what they are), finger throttle, probably something else I have not found yet.

5.jpgView attachment 2346042.jpgView attachment 2346064.jpg

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 13.jpg