New to SXR's

a>
After a couple burst fractures in my spine and temporary paralysis due to motocross I've made the switch to jet skis in an attempt to find a similarly addicting hobby that my newly fused spine can tolerate. I picked up an 07 SXR 100% bone stock and have a few questions regarding cleaning up the engine compartment.

First off, i hate the cluttered wires and hoses everywhere. Wondering if the temp sensor for the exhaust and the sensor next to the e- box can be removed without disabling the ski? Did a quick search and couldn't find anything so hopefully someone knows off the top of their head.

Second, I'd like to remove the OEM hose hookup but need to know where to get the correct single routed fitting for the head.

Third, am I ever going to use the choke? I'd like to remove it and clean up the dash. Starts up immediately without the choke so haven't had to use it yet.

Also open to any other suggestions for removing anything unnecessary. Will soon be starting a build thread after I ride a few times and get familiar with the stock boat. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
my ski's an 06 and i use the choke periodically, most people will replace the choke with a primer & you can bypass the fuel selector knob by running a line straight from the reserve to the carbs. also you could just cut back that hose hookup for the flush and relocate the adaptor closer to the head leave just a few inches of line.

Never will be in salt water. But I'll probably go the route blue suggested that way I still have the option to use it. Think a primer is that necessary huh?

Last edited:
I would also like to get rid of the OEM spark arrestor and put some Pod type filters on but curious if this will require any jetting or adjustment of pop-off pressure etc.?

i had a shop dial mine in but my understanding is you need to at least replace the low speed with an 80# or a 77.5. if you do move the hose hookup/flush you want to make sure to fill that hole that is left behind or water will pour right into your engine when the nose goes under water... final thing thats easy to do is find the check valve about 4inches from the gas tank and the line that runs from the valve up into the handle pole, leave the check valve in place but you can remove the line running up into the handle pole looks cleaner imo

You will need to rejet if you change the flame arrestor. Stock sxr poles are known to break and develop cracks real easy. Nice ski I'm sure you will enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Leave flame arrestors alone until you get a pipe. Then mod the stocker by pulling out rubber seals. Aftermarket ones do not help anything. I say leave choke on. If you get an air leak and it revs out on the trailer, choking it is the only way to killl it. Even pulling the plug wires wont. Get a Rulemate 750 bilgepump with no switch. Ride it and have fun.

Are you planning on carving or jumping?

just joe

Site Supporter
I'm for removing the choke. If it runs away due to an air leak, grab the throttle full open and pull the lanyard/hit stop. It will kill it. I agree pulling plugs does nothing.

AM filters do nothing for performance, but they do look cool.

You can lean it out a bit to pick it up some. But you won't really notice much until you get a head and pipe. If it starts right up without a choke or primer, it's likely running a tad rich.

Run BPRES plugs - they are longer and help increase compression.

Ultimately a head and pipe will transform into an amazing ski.

If you're interested in cutting weight on the ski, I know there's a very detailed thread about removing excess weight. I do not have the link, but I'm sure someone here doess

We'll I've rode it twice now and am beyond impressed. I think I will be leaving the engine stock for now and just focus on ergonomic mods. Already have blowsion bars, pole spring, billet throttle, and odi lock ons. Any other must haves? Debating about a ride plate to keep the rear more planted but not sure which route to go

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Still depends on what you are going to do with the ski, carve or jump. If you mod it to do one well, it will hurt the other. Glad you are having fun on it. Good call on the bars. I wouldn't spend $ on a ride plate.

Nice ski.

In my opinion I would do these mods in this order... B-Pipe, flame arrestors, head, impeller, intake grate, after market pole and steering... and just d cut the stock ride plate and enjoy!

Last edited:
Strictly buoy racing, no free style. It is all stock other than the few things I just put on. I'm definitely open to throwing an exhaust, head, and spark arresters on so long as they aren't too difficult to tune in and keep the boat as reliable as stock. Sick of having modded engines that have a new problem every outing.

Top Bottom