300/440/550 New to the sport

Got to ride a friends jet ski's last year and my daughter absolutely loved them, Long story short, wound up buying 2 of them. Got a 92 550sx and 95 440. Anything I should beware of? Right off the top I'm not able to find the 95 440 on kawasaki websight, but the title clearing says 95 and vin matches, what's up with that? I was checking the pump out on the 92 and found some damage from what looks like a rock. The impeller is scored up and 3 vanes are broken up pretty good so looks like I'll be replacing that if I can find a good one. Anything else to check?

Soosh

jetski9010

Team RTYD
Not sure about the 96 440. You should change out the stock prop in those things with an aftermarket one. The stock props really stink. Also you can get your pump repaired. Check out www.impros.com give dave a call he is a nice guy and really knows his stuff.

Laserman

World's Fastest TYPHOON
Check EBAY and the Classifieds here - usually you can get a good pump WITH a Stainless steel impellor for around $100 or less.

Saves you the hassle of removing the old prop and shimming the new one.

It is improtant that you find out what skis you have. There are three different pumps out there: the 440 style, the js550 style, and the 550sx style.

The 440 style is a little more challenging to work with, but all are easy enough.

I would suggest starting a thread in the SKI BUILDUPS section, and post lots of pictures.

This will help you as you start fixing the skis, and give you a nice thread to document the process and refer back to.

You will also attract people to "folllow your build" and you will get all the info you need to get them running tops.

Welcome! And Enjoy!

The one I'm working on is a 550 SX for sure. Not sure what kind of pump is under the 440, but I"m assuming it's stock. I haven't taken that one apart yet. I got a hit on a partial pump though niether of us are sure it's a SX pump, guess we'll see when it gets here. Both ski's are immaculate. I was actually suprised to find this damage, but guess you don't have to hit anything to suck a rock up. More later

Laserman

World's Fastest TYPHOON
My 440 pump pushes more water than any 550 pump

That's the one advantage to a 440 pump - at higher RPM, the 440 pump can push a greater volume of water than the 550 pump.

I lean more towards the 550 pumps since they are easier to work with as far as shimming and prop removal.

And at lower RPM ranges I couldn't feel much difference between a 550 pump and the 440 PJS pump.

I also upgraded my engines, and the 750s do not rev as high.

Last edited:
I don't ride fast so don't think I'll notice. What little I've ridden over the years has been more cornering and jumping. Thinking I'm going to set this up for a hard low end pull and forget about 40+mph

jetski9010

Team RTYD
The problem if you get an ocean pro head is most of the time you end up with a squish clearance of .095 or more. The best cheap mod I have done to 550's is widden the exhaust port 2mm on each side. the check your squish clearance. Take what ever squish measurement you get and figure out how much you need to take loose to get to .050 and then cut that off the bottom of the cylinders. This will lower your port timing for a longer power stroke and more bottom end power, give you proper squish clearance, and also rise your compression all with doing one mod. The machine shop in town charges me $30 to take .050 or so off the bottom of my cylinders.

jetski9010

Team RTYD
I have lightened 5 or 6 flywheels and never had any problems out of them. As long as it is someone that knows what there doing when cutting them they will hold up. And advancing the timing I have done this to all the 550's and 440's I worked on with good results also. 1-2mm CCW will give you good bottom power and still be ok as long as you run 91 or higher pump gas.

Going to keep the motor stock for now till I at least learn to ride a ski proper like. I've been a machinist for 20 years, I think I can handle cutting my own head if the time comes, but she's only a 550, I don't expect miracles out her. trying to decide what pitch impeller to put on it since the stock one is banged up. solas 13/18 is what I'm leaning too, but I don't understand how the variable pitch thing works with blades that are fixed position. Seriously don't think I need to improve top end though. Would I be better with a fixed 15?

Going to keep the motor stock for now till I at least learn to ride a ski proper like. I've been a machinist for 20 years, I think I can handle cutting my own head if the time comes, but she's only a 550, I don't expect miracles out her. trying to decide what pitch impeller to put on it since the stock one is banged up. solas 13/18 is what I'm leaning too, but I don't understand how the variable pitch thing works with blades that are fixed position. Seriously don't think I need to improve top end though. Would I be better with a fixed 15?

Call impros.... they will tell you the truth about what to expect, and what will be best suited for your needs. New prop & reg. routine maintenance will provide years of use from these old skis. a 550 sx is somewhat more performance based than the js models. Have fun with your new toys. You can always check here for any upgrades you get interested in. This is a great site for advice & tuning of standup PWC.

Top Bottom