NO spark , elec question

freaky!
same thing happend to my ski last sunday....rode it all morning, then cruising back thru the calm bay it just died...

Didnt lock up, didnt sputter or cough..I actually thought I bumped the kill button

new plugs, new coil, new msd and new S/S....no spark

popped in a new stator and she fired right up with all the old parts...........cant figure out why the stator lost it though, the front cover was dry...the ebox was dry, it just quit workin

that is exactly what mine did running fine then just dies , my ebox was dry motor cover dirty but dry even played with kill switch to thinking I hit it or something

going to try test the stator like they said later today when it cools down and if that's it I guess I'll be robbing the one form the spare , but I'm like you I don't see how the stator goes bad its just mag and coils that get charge when spinning

The charge coil actually gets pretty hot during use, it produces rather high ac voltage that can cause the windings (very thin wire) to punch through the layers and cause failure. Coils may be had from Yamaha.

that is exactly what mine did running fine then just dies , my ebox was dry motor cover dirty but dry even played with kill switch to thinking I hit it or something

going to try test the stator like they said later today when it cools down and if that's it I guess I'll be robbing the one form the spare , but I'm like you I don't see how the stator goes bad its just mag and coils that get charge when spinning
It is now later today. Did you check the stator yet?

ok update

I got it ebox opened up again and check I'm still not 100% sure I am doing the multimeter correct but think I did , I didn't get any readings like the instruction page shows earlier in this post so I guess that means all three coils are bad?

here is the readings: (black wire in COM and red in V) battery disconnected not spinning over motor just test resistance on wires

#2 Charge coil:
knob set at 2000K = 001
knob set at 200K = 00.4
knob set at 20K/2000 = 353

#3 Pulser coil;
knob set at 2000K = 000
knob set at 200K = 00.1
knob set at 20K/2000 = 0.19 to 0.20

#4 Lighting coil :
knob set at 2000K = 000
knob set at 200K = 00.1
knob set at 20K/2000 = 003

No:mad::mad: ........I must be doing something wrong with this mutli meter tester :confused:. I just took the other stator out of the spare engine on the shelf and getting ready to get the one out of the ski to swap but put the mutli meter on the spare engine stator and I'm getting the same numbers as the one that is in my ski ???????????

too bad you didnt have a spare cdi laying around. you could just toss that in and problem solved. if your stator is bad, its going to be the larger white wrapped coil, not the one with exposed copper wires or the small one.

I had a spare msd cdi I put in the other day but must have had a wire wrong cause it didn't even turn over swapped back it spins over again

I was just going to swap the whole stator plate out for now but after seeing the spare stator reads the same as old I am not sure if I just didn't read it right and swapping be a waste of time and effort , kinda wondering what input jetmenaic or some of the others mite have before I swap if thats not my issue

Quinc

Buy a Superjet
Follow the msd diagram again and make sure it is right. Also keep the stop wire(black and white) unplugged while you are doing all of your troubleshooting.

no msd diagrams but wires are pretty much color code except the white/red strip wire which is what I probably had wrong haven't put it back in since I drop original back in , the other guys are thing the no spark if my stator just not used to using a mutlimeter so not sure if i did it right

ok update

I got it ebox opened up again and check I'm still not 100% sure I am doing the multimeter correct but think I did , I didn't get any readings like the instruction page shows earlier in this post so I guess that means all three coils are bad?

here is the readings: (black wire in COM and red in V) battery disconnected not spinning over motor just test resistance on wires

#2 Charge coil:
knob set at 2000K = 001
knob set at 200K = 00.4
knob set at 20K/2000 = 353

#3 Pulser coil;
knob set at 2000K = 000
knob set at 200K = 00.1
knob set at 20K/2000 = 0.19 to 0.20

#4 Lighting coil :
knob set at 2000K = 000
knob set at 200K = 00.1
knob set at 20K/2000 = 003
No, not all 3 coils are bad!
Is there not a lower setting on your meter than what you used? Look at post 14. You are trying to measure no more than 350 ohm. 2000K means 2000 thousand, that's 2 million ohm. Don't worry about the lighting coil at this point, it has nothing to do with spark. The battery does not need to be disconnected either, but the stator wires need to be unplugged from the cdi. That's where you test them.

I used post 14 as my guide :) 2K means 2000 I thought red is in "V ohms Ma" spot and the black wire is in "com"

actually I was reading the 20K/2000 on the 2000 spot ...oppps

here is a picture if you can see it where the ohms symbol is goes 200, 2000, 20K, 200K , 2000K so do I need to go back an remeasure at the 20K since ts the smallest

Attachments

• Image0(1).jpeg
    Image0(1).jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 12
ok l I noticed last night that there was a 20K spot on the multimeter I had not tried so I did that this morning and got the readings listed below. I also don't know if it makes a difference but it's already 73 degrees and rising out side today and I notice the instructions sheet listed earlier in this post say those reading are supposed to be at 68 degree?

I measured all three coils again just to have a base of reference I also measured both eh old coil in the ski now and the one I pulled out of the spare engine yesterday they don't show the readings like the instruction but they do both show same readings again . I set at the 20K spot since it was the lowest "K" like you said (no 2K spot)

#2 coil brown/white -- black
knob at 20K old in ski 0.35 newer form spare ski engine 0.35

#3 Pusler coil
Knob at 20K old in ski 0.02 newer form spare ski engine 0.02

#4 Lighting coil
Knob at 20K old in ski 0.01 newer form spare ski engine 0.01

I think if stator or any coil was bad I would have had zeros readings or at least different readings between the two stators right? so I think that means the stator isn't my problem and no sense change it leave back at a bad CDI???

MSD 650/701 enhancer box must have gone bad soemhow sitting on the shelf :( I found wiring diagram online to double check and reinstall that msd cdi box but doesn't even bump engine with the msd box in ......... at this point I am debating :confused: taking the cdi out of the last running ski and put in this ski to see if that's the problem but at the same time I hate to screw with the running ski

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
You should be able to crank the engine over without a CDI installed even. The starter circuit is independent of the CDI.

At this point I'd say that the CDI is probably fine and that you have connected something up wrong with all that you have had apart. Make sure you have all grounds connected and that all wiring is connected correctly.

grounds are good. I can put the OEM cdi back in and it turns over just no spark , I put the MSD in and doesn't even turn over bump or anything . I have changed the coil , the relay and tried to change cdi I downloaded a wiring diagram for the msd cdi just to be sure I hooked up everything right but wires are color coded so it's pretty hard to screw it up even for me. I don't really care which cdi is there as long as the ski gets spark which is my issue

I have not removed the stator of this ski just tested it at the ebox wires (pulled one form a spare engine thinking current one was bad)

The op does not seem to understand the meaning of "K" after the number on the meter . K is the abbreviation for Kilo - so 20K = 20000. One last time: measure the charge coil on the 2000 scale setting because you're expecting to get a 300 + ohm reading. Check the other two coils on the 200 ohm setting, 'cause you're trying to measure 15 or less ohm. Let us know!

augustaf,
I clearly admitted I don't understand the meter or the readings I was basing on the "2K" form #14 post an assume 2k=2000k on the meter, 20K was the lowest one marks "K"

the "2000" (no K) reading I took the first time. The charge coil was 353 , Pulser coil 0.19-0.20 , Lighting coil 003

Top Bottom