Surfriding North Carolina Event Ideas

There was some good waves at carolina beach last time i was there. But you need 4x4 to be on the beach part but you can launch at a boat launch and ride your ski to the place pretty easy. Thats what i did cause my truck is 2wd

baxt3r

BBQ
How about Myrtle Beach. It's not much further and there has to be a hotel out of all of them down there th at would love to host an event, no matter the size. If they will tolerate Bike Week, a weekend with some jet skis would be a nice change of pace.

Any beach would be good including Myrtle , although outer banks will likely have better surf conditions . Beach access for vehicles is nice , but as long as a host hotel had good size parking lot and would allow atvs to pull totes onto beach that would be fine. Wilmington area would be more central to the state .

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Hey guys, I've got a crew of about 7 that ride here in Wilmington with me. We've got several awesome spots to ride here and get some nice wave action pretty often. Noticed alot of people replied with Wilmington as a suggestion and I would be 100% committed to helping organize and make this happen.

Let me suggest that the north end of Carolina Beach here in Wilmington would be an excellent choice for an area to host the event! I've never had an issue with anyone issuing tickets for riding too close to shore there at the end and all skis can be pulled up on the beach on the very tip end of the north of the island (confirmed this with local police last summer).

Also there is no approval necessary to be able to ride skis from the north end of Carolina Beach, you can ride and jump waves anywhere in the Inlet and directly across at the south end of Masonboro Island (300 yards away). Everyone camps on the beach right next to their skis and can ride from sunup to sundown. Also if anyone does not have access to a 4x4 vehicle Snow's Cut boat ramp is very close by.

Last edited:

OptimaRacing

Jet zoomers
Wilmington works fine for me. The Carolina Beach idea is good, but a location with the "host hotel" right at the ride spot would be ideal.

Early fall is fine with me as well. A location with ample parking would be great as well.

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
I don't know of any host hotel locations that are directly on the ride spot anywhere. All hotels in Wrightsville Beach and Carolina Beach are directly oceanfront and skis cannot be launched from the beach on the oceanfront nor can they be ridden on the ocean in front of the hotel within 100 yards of the beach according to Coast Guard regulations.

Hence why I suggested the north end for the ease of camping and launching skis directly on the beach. North End of Carolina Beach = Freeman Park. No hotel needed for a weekend event. Saves everyone alot of money as well. All it costs is a 20 dollar fee to drive your vehicle onto the beach per day.

If you are looking for a full on sponsored event with permits to ride on the beach in front of residences I don't think that will be possible here in Wilmington.

Last edited:

OptimaRacing

Jet zoomers
The issues I see at Freeman park are:

1) People without 4 wheel drive needing a lift out to the "ride spot". It can take awhile to get from the entrance to the inlet.
2) Parking for people without 4 wheel drive
3) Aren't trailers not allowed on the sand?

Hey guys, I've got a crew of about 7 that ride here in Wilmington with me. We've got several awesome spots to ride here and get some nice wave action pretty often. Noticed alot of people replied with Wilmington as a suggestion and I would be 100% committed to helping organize and make this happen.

Let me suggest that the north end of Carolina Beach here in Wilmington would be an excellent choice for an area to host the event! I've never had an issue with anyone issuing tickets for riding too close to shore there at the end and all skis can be pulled up on the beach on the very tip end of the north of the island (confirmed this with local police last summer).

Also there is no approval necessary to be able to ride skis from the north end of Carolina Beach, you can ride and jump waves anywhere in the Inlet and directly across at the south end of Masonboro Island (300 yards away). Everyone camps on the beach right next to their skis and can ride from sunup to sundown. Also if anyone does not have access to a 4x4 vehicle Snow's Cut boat ramp is very close by.
Yes we did this at the same spot, no one said anything. Pretty good waves, shallow at spots but not bad.

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride

1) People without 4 wheel drive needing a lift out to the "ride spot". It can take awhile to get from the entrance to the inlet.

Yes those are valid points. I'm not sure if trailers are allowed or not, have always thrown the skis in the bed of the truck when going to Freeman. Regardless I think there's going to be issues no matter what we try and organize. Although I must say majority of people that tow skis usually have 4 wheel. Not all I understand.

I'm leaning towards an unofficial unsponsored event at Freeman Park for those who can attend for a weekend this coming year in the spring, which is totally doable. Gotta start somewhere.

Theres been over a dozen of us out there before riding together and can easily add many many more to that.

Last edited:

1) yes that will be a pain
2) if you have a trailer you can launch at the boat launch and park there for free
3)no trailers on the beach which is stupid.

DAG

Yes, my balls tickled from that landing
How about Wrightsville Beach?
[video=youtube;8f9Pkf75yX0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8f9Pkf75yX0[/video]

Gunner_626

Carolina Beach Freeride
Haha I just watched this video a minute ago. That's crazy, I've been riding surf at Wrightsville most of my life and have never seen a shark like that.

Top Bottom