Not sure what is causing all the vibrations in my ski.

NISMOtuner

LIKE A BOSS!
Ok so I took my newly purchased 89 650sx out to the lake for my first attempt at riding. Needless to say, I fell over a lot and sadly took the ski with me a lot. But anyway, I had been noticing the ski was idling a bit higher as the day went on and the ski seemed to get noisier and shake at idle and I noticed it seemed the propellor was where all the noise was coming from.

So while I was riding, it just stopped suddenly and I towed it back. I already noticed the throttle cable bracket broke. And I found A lot of water in the engine but I got it running and blew it all out and got it to idle. But it still shakes violently and is noisy. I took a video of it in hopes that someone can identify it. here it is....

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo49/bust42/?action=view&current=VIDEO0001.mp4

My first thought is that maybe there are bearings in the back of that propellor shaft that are bad.... But this is my first experience working on a jet ski. I've built sport cars for years! So this is a touch different.

check the motor mounts, sometimes the rubber tears from old age or a particularly hard fall.

2 cylinder engines are horribly unbalanced (nature of the beast), that amount of shaking looks normal but almost excessive.

Last edited by a moderator:
whip the pump out - only takes a few bolts ,and a couple of waterlines and steering fitting - then check your prop hasnt got damaged through taking something in it - or maybe the bearings are shot

KTM434

Jamie FN Hickey
make sure that your motor is shimmed right for your shaft alignment

I've never worked on a Kawi that had shimsand that shouldn't cause vibrations. It sounds like you may have a swollen wear ring in your pump and the impeller is rubbing on it or the bearings are pitted causing the noise.

On my old 650 there was a grinding noise and vibration coming from the prop/rear end. It was so bad I thought it was a bend in the shaft. Did some diagnosing and elimination and figured it had to be the impeller. Sure enough another new stainless and its all better. The vibration was so bad that on plane it would make my feet hurt after the long ride in, and the noise made it difficult to talk to my brother on his ski next to me.

And besides the high idling the vibration looks normal.

Just had a 650 in the shop with same symptoms impeller had about an inch of play while on the shaft. Replaced it and rebuild pump bearings and put in two new motor mounts and she rides smooth as ever.

NISMOtuner

LIKE A BOSS!
Sweet I might break it down and see if anything is going bad in the back end bc the motor seems to be doing ok. And ALL the noise seems to be in the back... I'll check into all of your suggestions

Top Bottom