octane on a budget =/

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
Alright so my compression is 225 i usually get 110 leaded race fuel and mix it to a 50 50 of it and 91 pump gas. I use up my whole 5 gal tank each saturday when i go to oceanside now. but thats 70 bucks just for 2 5 gal drums of race gas just to get me through the month... thats not including the 91 pump gas i have to mix into it to make it last that long. thats getting to be a pretty little penny.
so i have run 91 in my ski with the compression one vacation when i ran out of race fuel to mix with and my ski did fine.
im curious of i can just run straight 91 in my ski and wether it would really effect my ski that much just for the 2 hour surf runs i make.
and im only 125lbs so the ski isnt being put through too much hell.
let me know and if i cant run 91 safely then would a quarter or race fuel mixed with 3 quarters 91 work at all?
searching for options I gotta keep riding
thanks
-Mark

Waste Land

Non Multa Sed Multum
It doesnt matter how long its ridden or how much hell its going through. Your still running WAY too much compression to be on pump gas and it will detnate. Just drop compression and save the $

Also...how do you figure you cant afford a SJ or whatever buy you got the green to run race mix. Pricey

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I wouldn't run pumpgas on over 200PSI. And even then, I'd be very careful about WOT runs.
I have heard of people running 215 on pumpgas in the surf. I.E., being extremely careful about WOT and all that.

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
Dude, You're riding in the surf now, you don't need high compression. Put a stock head on that bad boy and filler up with 87. That 550 is probably more powerful then all of our skis anyways

douglee25

m3booooy
If you're going to run your motor will high compression, it can be done safely with a good ignition. You need something that is going to retard the advance in the upper rpm range. Your easiest fix is to swap on a new head and lower the compression though.

Doug

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
right on alright thanks everyone
and about the av gas... i would consider but i havent seen any local around Cali
also i have no idea where id find a performance 550 ignition ive heard that they are a bitch to get to work right though, thats the ones that pjs made i think

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
oh... i just roll up to a local one and ask to go buy some or something? lol theres no real obvious pump outside so im just a little confused.

800amsoil4u

Old School at Heart
Dang 225 is a bunch of compression on a 550. That is tough on the crank. I also say take out a bunch of compression to run 91 octane. As for AV
Gas, if you go to the small airports some of them have the pumps where you can just take your jug out to and fill up. Or go inside and tell them it is for an experimental. That is what I use to do before they had the pump.

Mark Gomez

is where the surf is
oh alright thanks haha ill use that if i ever need some. yeah im going to get a stock one from my boss the stock one i have is milled to like 205-215 i coulnt remember. Ill get that stock one on next week after i burn up the mixed race fuel in my tank right now this weekend

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
oh alright thanks haha ill use that if i ever need some. yeah im going to get a stock one from my boss the stock one i have is milled to like 205-215 i coulnt remember. Ill get that stock one on next week after i burn up the mixed race fuel in my tank right now this weekend

don't use that head either. Thats insane. Nobody riding oside has anymore then 185lbs. You're just askin for problems. Run pump gas.

Top Bottom