650/X-2 oil mixture

The ski I just purchased is a 89 650sx Kawi.. I ran 2 tanks of fuel thru it at 50-1... I just texted the guy I bought it from to ask a couple silly question and asked about the oil mix.. He said he ran 32-1.. Dosn't that seem excessive... It's a bone stock unit. no pipe no mods.. Is that what I should really be running it at??

Wilke

X2 stole my life
40:1 your crank bearings will thank you. 50:1 is fine on a stock ski, but there is no downside to running 40:1 (slightly more smoke out the exhaust is the only "downside" I guess) and it will extend the life of your crank. 32:1 is getting excessive, and will be a smoke factory while running.

Wilke

X2 stole my life
I can see that for a big money dasa motor built with much tighter tolerances and to squeeze out every last bit of performace, absolutely use what the engine builder suggests. But he was asking for a bone stock kawi 650, completely different animal and 32:1 is excessive imo. DASA motor to stock 650 is like comparing the maintaince requirements between a base model daily driver civic and a purpose built drag motor, its not going to have the same requirements.

Last edited:
Does not make any sence but I ran a 32-1 mixture like the guy I bought it from and the ski ran out awesome...Why?? Not sure... Strange part is that usually when it heats up its started to lose power.. didn't do that at all??? Very strange.. I would have thougth with all that oil it would have fouled a plug or ran like crap.. Huh..

just a question here......could the "warmed up power loss" be due to a richer ratio (since there is more oil in the fuel end of the air/fuel concept) in combination with expansion from heat??? if so, that 40:1 may help, right?

Last edited:
These are made for 50:1, so run 40:1 to be conservative. 32:1 is excessive and not recommended. If you have running issues at operating temperature, I would chase other avenues first, even if the mixture helps. For starters, I would look at fuel air mixture, and I would probably adjust my high speed fuel air mixture ratio screw. Your ski came with a 28mm keihin carb, so the screw is labled with an "H". That screw happens to be above the L screw, which adjusts low rpm fuel air mixture. Warning, do not run lean.

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Try 50:1 if you don't like how it runs then add more oil to the tank to bring the mixture down until you find an optimum level that works for you. I run 45:1 on my 650 X2 and it has just about every bolt on mod possible.

Top Bottom