Ok to eliminate front exhaust on dual exhaust 701 superjet?

I would like to try destroyer front sponsons on my 1996 701 superjet. It has dual exhaust and so to do sponsons I guess I would have to eliminate the front exhaust.

I have a B-pipe and 701 engine with a single mikuni 44 carb.

Are there any issues with regard to getting rid of this front exhaust? Do you think this setup will run and perform fine if the front exhaust is eliminated?

Would it just be a matter of blocking off that pipe near the water box, pulling the external pipe/vent, and glassing over the hole?

Any other thoughts, cautions, advice?

As always, I really appreciate everyone’s help and knowledge sharing.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0171.jpeg
    IMG_0171.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Just about to fiberglass in the opening where the front left exhaust hole is so that i can install the sponsons. It is a RN hull. I was going to just use regular polyester resin, but then i saw in a post on one of the facebook superjet groups and that person was saying you have to use an epoxy resin because polyester won't stick. I thought it was the other way around for those hulls. I have west system epoxy also so I could use that.

What is best for this application?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Just about to fiberglass in the opening where the front left exhaust hole is so that i can install the sponsons. It is a RN hull. I was going to just use regular polyester resin, but then i saw in a post on one of the facebook superjet groups and that person was saying you have to use an epoxy resin because polyester won't stick. I thought it was the other way around for those hulls. I have west system epoxy also so I could use that.

What is best for this application?

Most skis are made of SMC. Poly will not bond to almost any hull. You have to use Epoxy. The poly is not going to stick with but a very few exceptions and the SJ bottom deck is not one of them.

The one thing you can use Poly for in this application is to make a removable plate that you are going to glue on with 4200 and bolts. Personally I have absolutely no interest in a front exhaust no matter the reason, and I am very happy with my destroyers, so I am pretty confident you are not going to want to remove them.

Most skis are made of SMC. Poly will not bond to almost any hull. You have to use Epoxy. The poly is not going to stick with but a very few exceptions and the SJ bottom deck is not one of them.

The one thing you can use Poly for in this application is to make a removable plate that you are going to glue on with 4200 and bolts. Personally I have absolutely no interest in a front exhaust no matter the reason, and I am very happy with my destroyers, so I am pretty confident you are not going to want to remove them.
Hello - i am not sure what you meant by a removable plate. Were you meaning as a way to leave an option to later go back remove sponsons and put back the front exhaust?

I had been thinking in terms of permanent patch and commit to the sponsons. I have destroyers on my SJ4 and this was what got me thinking to do the RN.

Last edited:
Working on this ski again now. I have pulled the gas tank and trying to decide whether it would be easier to pull the water box too, to help cap off exit to front exhaust and as well get better access to the inside left for the fiberglass work. Looking for the easiest route overall. Is pulling the waterbox at this point the way to go?

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Hello - i am not sure what you meant by a removable plate. Were you meaning as a way to leave an option to later go back remove sponsons and put back the front exhaust?

I had been thinking in terms of permanent patch and commit to the sponsons. I have destroyers on my SJ4 and this was what got me thinking to do the RN.

The removable plate was mentioned as a non-permanent option. The permanent patch is the better option and what I would do.

Top Bottom