Freestyle Old guy Osgood Schlatters issue?

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
As a kid I had this pretty bad, but over the years it's healed up nicely and has been fine. Until last Wednesday.

I went for a ride and I'm not sure if it tore it, or I hit it on the ski? Was practicing set up wakes for 360's. I did one and while riding away I felt the pain and that damaged joint feeling.

So I called today and got an appointment at Tahoe Fracture for next Tuesday. I was hoping for some improvement, but it's been a week and not much improvement, other than the swelling has gone down a tad.

But in the mean time I am curious about a few things. Have any of you guys experienced this after childhood? I'm 45 going on 12 or something. Do any of you know any good supplements, or dietary recommendations to help me heal this thing up better? Dealing with bone, tendon, ligament rehab.

If anyone is unfamiliar with it, it's when the top of your shin bone's growth plate gets pulled off during your teenage years. Thigh muscle attached to the patella and then to the top of the shin bone. It's fairly common in athletic youths and rare for old bastards.

One thing I may be short on in my diet is calcium. Milk makes me break out, so I don't drink any at all, but do cheeses and other stuff without too much trouble. But I wonder if this is part of my problem? Also I have other old guy $h!t going on like sore ankles / wrists / shoulders etc... But all tolerable for the most part.

The bummer about Osgood Schlatters is not being able to do therapy for it. You are normally supposed to rest it and let it heal. Ghayyyyy! I've always been very active and like having fun doing adrenaline sports. I haven't been laid up in a long time and really am hoping for the best on this one. Not getting any younger and am still having as much fun as humanly possible.

Thanks again in advance guys.

MegaManAU

Budgets are made to be broken!
As a kid I had this pretty bad, but over the years it's healed up nicely and has been fine. Until last Wednesday.

I went for a ride and I'm not sure if it tore it, or I hit it on the ski? Was practicing set up wakes for 360's. I did one and while riding away I felt the pain and that damaged joint feeling.

So I called today and got an appointment at Tahoe Fracture for next Tuesday. I was hoping for some improvement, but it's been a week and not much improvement, other than the swelling has gone down a tad.

But in the mean time I am curious about a few things. Have any of you guys experienced this after childhood? I'm 45 going on 12 or something. Do any of you know any good supplements, or dietary recommendations to help me heal this thing up better? Dealing with bone, tendon, ligament rehab.

If anyone is unfamiliar with it, it's when the top of your shin bone's growth plate gets pulled off during your teenage years. Thigh muscle attached to the patella and then to the top of the shin bone. It's fairly common in athletic youths and rare for old bastards.

One thing I may be short on in my diet is calcium. Milk makes me break out, so I don't drink any at all, but do cheeses and other stuff without too much trouble. But I wonder if this is part of my problem? Also I have other old guy $h!t going on like sore ankles / wrists / shoulders etc... But all tolerable for the most part.

The bummer about Osgood Schlatters is not being able to do therapy for it. You are normally supposed to rest it and let it heal. Ghayyyyy! I've always been very active and like having fun doing adrenaline sports. I haven't been laid up in a long time and really am hoping for the best on this one. Not getting any younger and am still having as much fun as humanly possible.

Thanks again in advance guys.

I had it as a kid, but Im 31 now, and don't have any pain any more. I know a torn meniscus is a common problem that sounds like it might be a similar pain, but I have not had one so I couldn't tell you for sure. I think Osgood is a non issue once it originally goes away (I don't think it comes back).

Hope that helps some.? Good luck, Pray its not a torn Meniscus, but I know people who still run, and ride dirt-bikes with them, they just hurt when the Barometric Pressure Drops.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
Well I got lucky on the meniscus! Stoked on that. But somehow tore off the top of my growth plate again. OS all over again, but it's healing very fast which is absolutely amazing and I'm very happy about that. Threw a couple flips yesterday and it's doing very well. But taking two more weeks off for more healing. The Dr. recommended centrum silver to help speed up the healing along with a prescribed anti inflammatory (which I can't remember the name of, but it's very common)

I'll post back in a couple weeks with an update. I can't say how pleased I am with the healing time on this. But am going to baby it for Fathers Day weekend. 5 day camping trip at the lake with the family! Very excited.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
It's still healing, but slower now. Wear knee pads a lot at work now and that helps a ton. Thinking this snow ski season may be a bit of a bummer with this, but I need to let it heal up. I'll sacrifice some snow skiing time to get healthier for the jet ski season.

Overall it's pretty good now, I just can't land anything real flat repeatedly and all is good.

what sort of rehab/conditioning are you doing? there's several home exercises that are evidence based that will help ya out, but i would def recommend some support when you're out hitting wakes...

FlightPlanDan

Don'tTrustAfartAfter50
I had it as a teen. Still have the tell tale lump below the knee-caps, but no pain.
I've never heard of anyone having pain as an adult.
My understanding was that it's totally associated with growth.

To be honest, I thought I was the only person in the world that ever had it.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
That's what the x-rays showed. The top of it did fracture, but there wasn't much they could do, other than let it heal on its own. They got me on some supplements and just taking it easy on it. Should be good to go this coming spring! Stoked!

Top Bottom