Old Turf Glue... How do I remove it???

Darkside

Ax Man
I am taking off the old turf on the gunwale sides of my '01 SJ and replacing it with Hydroturf. The stock turf came off easy, but left alll of the glue behind. It is still very tacky, can I just rough up this stuff or do I have to remove all of it with some kind of adhesive remover before I put the new Hydroturf on? Any suggestions would be most appreciated?

550 SLUT

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
Ok, I will try and sand it tomorrow, it is just a little guey for sanding, so I thought. I did try some acetone, but it was real slow process.

yep slow, u might want to try those 3m green looking pads
let the acetone sit for a little

on reasom i do not like the sanding is the firberglass in the air, plus u are taking off the paint

on reasom i do not like the sanding is the firberglass in the air, plus u are taking off the paint

i prefer to not turf over paint as that leads to turf being held on anly as good as the paint is adhered...... and there is no "firberglass" on your 550. its SMC. there is fiberglass on the top deck of an 01 SJ, but theres no reason to sand past the gelcoat since it wont come up.

besides, a little fiberglass inhalation has never killed anybody.

Darkside

Ax Man
Ok, I used some cement remover, all it did was make more of a mess. Then I used a razor on a handle, which seems to be doing the trick. I will rough up the area, when I am done with this, as per the Hydroturf instructions. Thanks for everyones input!

Top Bottom