Surfriding Opinion on new XFT Hull

maef

Fly
Hi everyone, I´m buying a brand new XFT hull (reinforced biaxial and fiber) for freeride (Free-X). Does anyone have experience with this hull? Is it worth the investment? Please see attached a picture (still finishing painting).
Thanks!
Marco.

casco_freeride.jpg

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I didn't realize XFT was still making new stuff.

Here's my opinion: If you're going to shell out the big bucks that an aftermarket hull costs, get something that isn't just a fancy Superjet with a different composite layup. (Unless you REALLY like the Superjet).
I'd go with a different, newer hull geometry - rocker, handlepole location, and all the other new innovative stuff. Something that doesn't handle just like another Superjet. Because you could just buy another Superjet.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Could you point out to us where that rocker is, front and rear? (See pic in OP)

Thanks.

Looks identical to a SJ to me.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Look at the bond line and the bottom rear on a SJ (or SXR, or the XFT you posted)
They are straight with no bend in them.
Rocker refers to an upwards sweep in the bond line in the front and bottom of the hull in the rear. (There may be something there on the XFT in the rear. If there is, it's minimal).

Take a look at a Rickter, a BOB, Superfreak for examples of rocker.

Example of front rocker on a Superfreak:
1201329065_gLJkx-XL.jpg

1201328025_Vb3qv-XL.jpg

I don't have a pic of the rear rocker right now.

Something else I thought of: Nearly all of the newer hulls have improvements in the rails designed to corner better. The pole sits further forward, the hull is wider, the tray design is much better.

maef

Fly
Got it! Thanks!

Look at the bond line and the bottom rear on a SJ (or SXR, or the XFT you posted)
They are straight with no bend in them.
Rocker refers to an upwards sweep in the bond line in the front and bottom of the hull in the rear. (There may be something there on the XFT in the rear. If there is, it's minimal).

Take a look at a Rickter, a BOB, Superfreak for examples of rocker.

Example of front rocker on a Superfreak:
1201329065_gLJkx-XL.jpg

1201328025_Vb3qv-XL.jpg

I don't have a pic of the rear rocker right now.

Something else I thought of: Nearly all of the newer hulls have improvements in the rails designed to corner better. The pole sits further forward, the hull is wider, the tray design is much better.

I have yet to ride a Freak but I KNOW FOR A FACT, those XFT hulls are the :):):):). Light, sturdy and ride effin great.

Matt E, Have you ever seen the dual scupper drainage systems on these hulls? they are bad ass. WAY WAY WAY better then any scupper system I have seen yet.

Also HANDS DOWN, XFT footholds are the most unique awesome holds. I cant ride a ski with out them. If I could get my hands on that XFT hull I would in a heartbeat. Its a shame they do not produce products anymore.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I say get it because there won't be anymore of them, if you don't like it someone will buy it, everything else will still be available down the road.

One more thing before you ask yes I have ridden an XFT hull quite a few times.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I have yet to ride a Freak but I KNOW FOR A FACT, those XFT hulls are the :):):):). Light, sturdy and ride effin great.

Matt E, Have you ever seen the dual scupper drainage systems on these hulls? they are bad ass. WAY WAY WAY better then any scupper system I have seen yet.

Also HANDS DOWN, XFT footholds are the most unique awesome holds. I cant ride a ski with out them. If I could get my hands on that XFT hull I would in a heartbeat. Its a shame they do not produce products anymore.

Yes, I've seen the scupper tunnels. I'm not a scupper fan though.
I'm not dissing XFT, btw. The quality is pretty damn good. Just saying that for the money, I'd get a hull with more features that affect handling.

maef

Fly
I don't like the idea of putting out big $,$$$ on a hull that I have not ridden based on opinions or hull reputation...

I will ride a similar ski (XFT hull) before closing the deal. Please consider one piece of info: I'm in Brazil and it is not that easy to import hulls from the US. XFT is here...

I could by Lenzi's one, but I don't like the way they look and I guess they are not that great on surf (where I ride).

Thanks!

IS0LD0UT

I hate winter
I really like my xft. It rides way different than a superjet. I also love the footholds. Build quality is top notch.

I will ride a similar ski (XFT hull) before closing the deal. Please consider one piece of info: I'm in Brazil and it is not that easy to import hulls from the US. XFT is here...

I could by Lenzi's one, but I don't like the way they look and I guess they are not that great on surf (where I ride).

Thanks!

Well then you don't have many options unless you wait and have the funds to visit the Daytona 2012 freeride or some other closer event and test some hulls like some guys do and then order one to be shipped to you.

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Imo xft is awesome hull but you just mentioned surf. Surf and light weight xft s esp that model do not go together well. Again just my opinion. But if the price is right try it

Top Bottom