Padding from Wallyworld - retain water?

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
Hey what's anyone's real experience (NOT what you heard from your cousin's best friend's brother, ha ha) with the closed cell foam rolls from Walmart (the excersize mats, the thick one isabout 1/2", the light one about 1/4")?

I'm wondering if ithey retain water that much? I don't want to put this stuff down and then my matting and then discover it sponges the water and sits wet underneath all the time. The WM stuff seems to be good, but the cells are clearly not as dense as the HT stuff.

Also, any trouble with keeping it glued down with the ridges that are molded into it? I'd rather spend some extra $ and do it right than have to redo TWO boats completely, risking ruining the turf in the process.

If this stuff is not that good, any suggestions as to where to get it? Kmart has some stuff too, and I dont think it has the molded ridges...

Thanks

Mark44

Katie's Boss
Use the wal-mart kitchen mat they are about 8 bucks and last a long long time and even come in nice prints. We use this all the time and they hold up quite well and retain no water.

Mark44

Phill

v Check out Little Matt_E
I used the mats you can find in the garden department at Home Depot....you know the ones that people use for kneeling down on when they are pulling weeds... it took about three of them to fill the try..,.. but they are holding up fine after one season. The stuff looks just like the foam that you get from HT. Sands and glues the same as the HT stuff to. We used it on two other skis as well and it seems to be holding up good also.

ski_crazy

ISJWTA member #5
Get a hold of Ketsair he has the same mat on his square that Mark44 is talking about. I can't remember what he said about if it holds water. Let me know where you get it from I will need some also. Just leave me enough to do my sxi.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
Get a hold of Ketsair he has the same mat on his square that Mark44 is talking about. I can't remember what he said about if it holds water. Let me know where you get it from I will need some also. Just leave me enough to do my sxi.

Sure thing Scott ha ha

I have two skis to do. Have mats coming, still have to put the footholds in Jakes boat and a whole "boatload" of other internal stuff and add-ons too (blowsion and protec trucks are coming next week). My boat is ready except for the mats and water tuning on trailer.

Jakes motor is gonna be interesting, working with a well-known builder to figure out the jetting and tuning specs with the porting and monster carbs on it. Should be neat to see how a b-piped dual 38 (mine) compares to a similarly-equipped dual Riva Pro-Series 48mm machine.

Anyway, got off topic there - I suppose that is ok since Im the OP? ha ha

Anyone else got underpadding ideas/sources?? thanks again

#ZERO

Beach Bum
If it's closed-cell foam the water absorption should be less then one percent.

If you need some 25mm under padding, I have a piece that's 24" x 40" for 40 bucks shipped.

I have the roll of yaga mat stuff from walmart it has Golds gym printed on the box. It is pretty thick 7/8" I think but I used it in the pol last year to see if it would hold water and it worked great. So this year it is going on the ski. A great underpadding for $16

Top Bottom