Padding from Wallyworld - retain water?

The very best padding is EVA foam. Its the same stuff thats in running shoes and is commonly sold as floor padding. It is very light and will not absorb oil or water. Pepboys was selling it in 1/2" thick squares real cheap but now only have it in 3/8".

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The very best padding is EVA foam. Its the same stuff thats in running shoes and is commonly sold as floor padding. It is very light and will not absorb oil or water. Pepboys was selling it in 1/2" thick squares real cheap but now only have it in 3/8".

That stuff is like flat hyro-turf with a high compression rating and it doesn't spring right back after being compressed in the thicker sizes. :thumbsdown:

Also it's impossible to find in larger sheets, usually comes in smaller squares in different colors.

Are your sure it was EVA foam?

BTW... your 1/4" flow control valve idea worked great for a fuel pressure regulator and it uses Viton internals. :fing02:

EVA is available in several densities but is always light weight compared to everything else. It has held up well as long as its skinned with turf.

crammit442

makin' legs
EVA is available in several densities but is always light weight compared to everything else. It has held up well as long as its skinned with turf.[/quote]

I think that's the important thing to remember when talking about compression set. None of them have a problem once covered with turf. I like minicell just fine because it's VERY soft and retains almost no water. Good(and rare) insight.:beerchug:

Im running the wally world blue yoga mat. I even refoamed my pole pad with it and recovered it with the stock vinyl,cheap looks good and dosent hold water.

The blue mats dont sand well,so I used a razor to trim the edges. Im very happy with the way it turned out.

dirkdiggler

Vendor Account
I bought the stuff walmart sells as Camping matt material, Its Blue. I am just going to double it up. Seems like it will work good! $5 for a big roll!!

Wolf Child

Just Another Octard
Hey what's anyone's real experience (NOT what you heard from your cousin's best friend's brother, ha ha) with the closed cell foam rolls from Walmart (the excersize mats, the thick one isabout 1/2", the light one about 1/4")?

I'm wondering if ithey retain water that much? I don't want to put this stuff down and then my matting and then discover it sponges the water and sits wet underneath all the time. The WM stuff seems to be good, but the cells are clearly not as dense as the HT stuff.

Also, any trouble with keeping it glued down with the ridges that are molded into it? I'd rather spend some extra $ and do it right than have to redo TWO boats completely, risking ruining the turf in the process.

If this stuff is not that good, any suggestions as to where to get it? Kmart has some stuff too, and I dont think it has the molded ridges...

Thanks

I've done 3 skis with that stuff as under padding and it works fine. Holds no water adheres well, can be shaped with a sander, and is CHEAP. I'm going on the 3rd season with two of the skis. lowes have some much thicker stuff than the stuff at wally world for a couple bucks more.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
just a warning to you guys trying to be cheap.

someone put a different underpad on my ski and it flattened out in less than a year. I had shooting pains in my ankles when ever I had a big landing.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
So the minicell stuff you showed earlier is what you used? (not necessarily the foot square pieces, but the material) You recommend?

Not trying to be cheap, just trying to get the same as HT offers-for cheapER.

showmepro1200

ISJWTA Member #007
okay, thanks

You'll be pleased to hear I dropped my thinner pad in the footwell idea.:Banane57: Although I just dont know if I'll be able to put the pad in the upper part of the footwell and still get my foot in...It'll be a nice tight fit.

Top Bottom