Super Jet Paint color

briank

KURTZILLA
Does anyone know what the paint color of the 2009 superset is? It's a mix of blue and purple. I wanna paint my aftermarket hood and nose to match the ski but don't know what to get. Thanks

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
Take it and have it matched at your local automotive paint/bodyshop supply... only way to get a correct match. You can go off paint codes all you want but 99% of the time it won't be a match.

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
Colorrite isn't a guaranteed match. They are about the best as far as "mail order" paint matches go but the only way to get an exact match is to take it and have it color matched by someone that knows how to match correctly. Depending on what materials you decide to go with a matched pint should be plenty.

Last edited:
Colorrite isn't a guaranteed match.
And neither is the spectrophotometers paint shops use for color matching. He might have better luck than I had having a shop match it for hime since the SJ uses a solid color instead of a metallic. My painter sprayed some parts for me to match the deep purplish blue metallic fairings on my GPR, & when next to the OEM painted parts in sunlight there was a slight difference. He told me the metallic flake sometimes throws it off a little. I ended up having it redone with colorrite paint. Maybe saying guaranteed was going a little far, but the results I've had from their products on two projects now have been a dead nuts match.

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
I've used colorrite several times in the past on bikes with some good results and some bad. solid colors are easier most of the time, but my match man has been in the biz for over 30 years and is the best I've come across... like I said, if they know what they are doing it's his best shot. spectrophotometers never work, sometimes they get you close and give you a base to start from but the man I use doesn't even use his... Its hard to match something thats not right in front of you being that all skis, cars, bikes, whatever are not painted at the same time from the same batch with the same equipment... and sometimes not even at the same factory. Look at some of the cars these days, sometimes a honda civic for example will have 5 or 6 variances on the same paint code. How are you going to match that correctly off of a computer from 3000 miles away??

I understand that, but the thread is about painting a Yamaha ski, not a car or a bike. As far as I'm aware they paint their hulls, decks & trim pieces in the same plant where they are assembled. I've never noticed any variance in color from one Yami to another, even between different models.

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
You're right... I think they they mix about 2000 gallons of paint at the same time and store it in a separate building, that way they all match.:lmao: ( don't forget... PAINT FADES IN THE SUN!!!)

Last edited:
You're right... I think they they mix about 2000 gallons of paint at the same time and store it in a separate building, that way they all match.
No, you're right. Look how horribly the glovebox lid & seat done with colorrite matches the fairings that were factory painted 3 years earlier. Must've come from the same 2000 gal batch.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpg
    IMG_6801.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
Hard to tell from a pic.... If he wants to go down the same road you did and pay twice as much for something he "hopes" matches... and be stuck with it when it doesn't, then by all means let him. After all, its people like you that don't know any better on a simple solid color that keep colorrite in business.:spank:

I have been in the paint busniess for a long time and one thing I have learned is that I will NEVER use Colorrite unless I have no other choice. Not trying to argue with you bro, just trying to help someone get what they asked for a little faster and a hell of alot cheaper... and for that I am sorry. My bad.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from a pic.... If he wants to go down the same road you did and pay twice as much for something he "hopes" matches... and be stuck with it when it doesn't, then by all means let him. After all, its people like you that don't know any better on a simple solid color that keep colorrite in business.:spank:

I have been in the paint busniess for a long time and one thing I have learned is that I will NEVER use Colorrite unless I have no other choice. Not trying to argue with you bro, just trying to help someone get what they asked for a little faster and a hell of alot cheaper... and for that I am sorry. My bad.
I'm not trying to be a dick either, or trying to be a cheerleader for colorright...just saying I've had good results with their products. Also, it's not that I don't know any better, but the fact is I spent good money trying out 2 different local shops that did halfass work before I was referred to the painter I use now, who does paint & body work for a lot of the racers in the area. One did some plastic parts for me & they came back with pinholes in the finish because they weren't properly prepped. The second place tried to give me parts back with sags. When I complained he gave it to his guy & had him sand & rebuff it, & then handed it back to me with primer showing through in one spot. At that point I didn't say a word & just walked out. Bottom line is I agree with you...a good shop is likely a good(& cheaper) bet when it comes to getting a good match, BUT in my experience, finding that shop can be more of a crapshoot than mail order paint.

2010brandingo

TEACH ME HOW TO DOUGIE!
I feel ya, tons of half-arsed painters out there. I'm just not a fan of colorrape cause they bought the rights to the formulas of most of the factory colors on bikes and skis (very smart on their part) and then hiked the price of the paint through the roof. They use the same toners as everyone else (PPG if I remember correctly) and charge twice as much if not more... as if paint isn't expensive enough already. BS if you ask me.

Sorry the painters you've delt with left a bad taste in your mouth but at least you found someone who can take care of your needs now. Anything that leaves my shop has to go through me first and I am my own biggest critic. My advice to briank would be to take it and have it matched BUT check it and make sure it matches before you leave. If it doesn't, make them do it again or DO NOT PAY FOR IT!!! Remember, you are paying for a service and if that service is not up to parr you are NOT obligated to pay for it! Hell, if you only knew how much paint I have recieved from my suppliers for free over the years because they were mismatches you would laugh.

briank

KURTZILLA
Thanks man, I'm gonna try to get my ski to a shop this week and see what they can come up with. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks guys

I feel ya, tons of half-arsed painters out there. I'm just not a fan of colorrape cause they bought the rights to the formulas of most of the factory colors on bikes and skis (very smart on their part) and then hiked the price of the paint through the roof. They use the same toners as everyone else (PPG if I remember correctly) and charge twice as much if not more... as if paint isn't expensive enough already. BS if you ask me.

Sorry the painters you've delt with left a bad taste in your mouth but at least you found someone who can take care of your needs now. Anything that leaves my shop has to go through me first and I am my own biggest critic. My advice to briank would be to take it and have it matched BUT check it and make sure it matches before you leave. If it doesn't, make them do it again or DO NOT PAY FOR IT!!! Remember, you are paying for a service and if that service is not up to parr you are NOT obligated to pay for it! Hell, if you only knew how much paint I have recieved from my suppliers for free over the years because they were mismatches you would laugh.
Yeah, I'm very happy with the guy I use now. He aint cheap, but everything he's done for me has come out great. On the bright side, my bad experience with those shops ended up with me aquiring a new skill. After some research, some trial & error, a bit of practice & a few mistakes, I ended up redoing those parts myself...and got better results in the back yard under a tree with a can, lol. Ended up buying myself a small HVLP gun & a polisher/sander & am now proficient enough to do little touch-up projects myself.

Thanks man, I'm gonna try to get my ski to a shop this week and see what they can come up with. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks guys
Good luck with it Brian. Post up some pics after you git 'er done.

Top Bottom