Paint

I spray with a 10 dollar harbor freight gun, once adjusted it works awesome, there are quite a few free tricks to get them to work good, lots of good info on youtube.

So I didn't really read through all the comments.. what I did see is first.. what your body shop buddy told you isn't fact... base/clear will hold up.. I own a body shop and have painted 2 skis with base clear with no issues... prep is key(goes for any paint)... second.. emron is old technology, I wouldn't waste time with the limited color availability and product availability(not the easiest to find)... if you want good reasonable price single stage delfleet for the win... omni mtk isn't that great... I've painted atv frames with delfleet and it holds up amazingly (I had my doubts the first time my supplier told me to use it).. it sprays really nice but takes a good while to fully cure out... prep will make or break any paint job weather it's cheap paint or high end

For paint guns.. I only run sata 3000 and 4000(500 dollar guns but I use them daily).. I know a few guys rocking the finish line guns and they seem to be pleased for the most part..

Sent from inside a beer can

Ejake

straight cash homie
Sata 4000 and sata 4000rp for the win is what I shoot with daily. We shoot the standox line from dupont. Nason makes a good single stage also. Aytee is 100% spot on with what he's said.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

My friend did tell me delfleet, I completely forgot about it though. After spraying both the top + bottom deck I can say im very happy with my devilbiss finishline. It definately outshines my outdated Sata Jet 90. Im no professional, but it seems to be a quality gun. It was easy to tune the gun for different spots and if desired you can get a huge spray pattern and lay it down super quick. On the bottom deck I forgot about the fluid control so it laid quickly and got me in trouble with some runs. The top deck I did play with the fluid control and was alot more manageable. However I had to use 3 coats because I was having trouble covering the grey primer spots.. Still getting runs. Fortunately I went to a solid color so I can wet sand them out.

The 2.2 tip that came in the finishline master kit is going to come in handy. I had painted the bilge with duplicolor trunk spatter and clear.. Found out that stuff is junk as standing water dissolved it. Most likely after I lay some new gas tank inserts I will spray with zolatone 20 series like originally on the ROK.

No complaints with the Rival paint so far. If anyone interested, it cost me $55/quart gloss black, $60/quart solid orange and $80/quart metallic orange. That was with shop account. Activator was $25 and is enough for plenty of paint jobs.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Dont use a acrylic enamel because for just a few dollars you more can get a acrylic urethane which will much more durable.
My favorite cheap single stage acrylic urethane is PPG's Omni MTK. Painted tons of skis with it and it has lasted. It doesnt chip or fade, even in this brutal AZ sun.

PPG also makes Omni Plus which is a base/clear system and its still pretty cheap.
View attachment 242394 View attachment 242395 View attachment 242396 View attachment 242400 View attachment 242401 Nason is not bad, have used it before, but like Omni better. Also as mentioned Dupont "Imron" is a good ol paint too. The 1990 purple/yellow SN SJ in the pics below I painted with Imron in 1992 and the hull sits in my backyard now and the paint still looks awesome!

SO you just spray the Omni - no additional clear?

not sure on dupont discontinuing imron.they have newer imron line with more solids and less voc's.don't know about color selection however.painted basic black on bare steer and reduction nozzle and that stuff will not come off.
i use hf gun as well and works well.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Seroiusly I didnt even think they still made Imron. I would of thought would have been discontinued 10+ year ago!

Like said here, a base/clear will hold up excellent, its just more work and $$$, its up to you.. Obviously if you get the clear to thick it will be easier to chip..

I still have a bunch of cans of acrylic lacquer left over from the good ol days.. haha

You guys remember Centauri?

Last edited:
Imron wasn't discuntinued... just old technology and hard to find in most areas since nobody uses it but industrial anymore... there's more friendly products on the market that have the same characteristics

Sent from inside a beer can

Top Bottom