Painting, just making sure i got all this correct.

Ok well i will be painting my 550 in the near future and it will be my first paint job. Ive read a few how tos but many of them werent very clear.
I just want to make sure everything i have here is correct.

First ill be sanding off the gelcoat most of the way to the fiberglass if not all the way. I need to so some repair which is why ill be removing most of the gelcoat. Then i spray primer either from a rattle can or via paint sprayer. I just use automotive paint primer correct? Then i can sand it smooth with 2000 grit or something. Then spray a layer or two of primer sealer. Next spray 2-3 layers of paint, then wetsand with 2000 grit. Then spray more paint if needed or clearcoat and wetsand it too.

I can just pick up the paint at advanced auto parts right? I know they sell automotive paint and primer, but im not sure about the sealer.

As long as i take my time and spray light coats to avoid runs, and wet sand everything smooth, will it turn out ok for a first try?

Where can i find more info about gel coats? i was thinking of gel coating the bottom instead of painting it.

also, if i were to buy vinyl graphics, would i just put them over the finished ski, or should i paint, add graphics then clear coat it all? Im guessing last, that way i can buff the clear coat first.

lastly, sorry about anotehr paint thread, but i just want to make sure i can do the best i can and some of the how to's ive read left me with lots of questions.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Ok first off 550 hulls are painted with Imron,no gelcoat anywhere also no reason to remove it even if it was.Don't bother with spray can primer its crap,primer is relatively cheap and you need decent primer.You need only sand the primer to 320*400 grit ,you want the paint to have some tooth 2000 grit is way too fine to shoot paint over,Look up the paint thread over at PWCT by Waterdog louie,it has a step by step which is excellent.Gelcoat is not really compatible with SMC,don't even think about it unless you like to sand ,a lot.The paint at Autozone is Lacquer,it does not go on smoothly and has to be sanded ,buffed and clear coated to get decent results,it can work but single stage polyurethane is a lot tougher and needs no clearcoat.

use epoxy sealer, do not buy paint from auto parts store.
fix all area that need glass/body work after all the body work is done sand the entire ski with 180 grit sand paper use scotch Britte (red) to finish the job and to get in the nooks and cranny's. blow off the dust wipe with wax and grease remover, seal it with epoxy wait 10-15 minutes in 60-70 (degree weather)
do not paint below 60 degrees the paint will not performer well an ideal temp is 70 spray a polyester primer (3 wet coats the stuff is very thick)
on the entire ski/hood wait 24 hours
sand with 180 then sand again with 320. seal again (epoxy) spray your paint either base coat clear coat or single stage.
of course this is a fly by basics example there is way to Manny details to go over,air pressure, humidity, reducers,wax and grease removers,type of "guns" to use fluid tips and so forth.
to be honest you should leave stuff like painting to the pro's !
it is much harder to fix a paint job after it has been hacked to sh*t.however it is a 550 so hack away, LOL
seriously though good luck your going to need it.
check out my build http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/45314

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

Kirker makes a decent line of paints that lay down fairly smooth and gloss up very nicely,there is a catch,it only comes in 3/4 gallons,you add hardener at a 3 to 1 ratio,so the paint plus hardner makes 1 galon of ready to spray paint,I believe the last batch I got was around $85.00 shipped for a gallon of paint,thats about what you are going to pay for a quart of PPG OMNI ,Global DG or Deltron plus you still have to buy hardener and reducer.

Wow, was really hoping for paint to be cheaper than that. Anyone had decent results with rattle cans? Also how much does gel coat costs? I wouldnt mind a plain white gel coat, but i havent looked into gel coats much at all.

What would be the cheapests method that will still look ok.

vjhardcore

Ride It Like Ya Stole IT!
Wow, was really hoping for paint to be cheaper than that. Anyone had decent results with rattle cans? Also how much does gel coat costs? I wouldnt mind a plain white gel coat, but i havent looked into gel coats much at all.

What would be the cheapests method that will still look ok.

I have for sure on my old 650SX - I rolled it on its side and sanded the hull alittle by hand, wipped it clean with a good degreaser, then used a couple cans of KRYLON FUSION white. The type that they say to use on plastic outdoor furniture. It worked great and held up for a few years very well until I sold the ski.

WFO Speedracer

I have for sure on my old 650SX - I rolled it on its side and sanded the hull alittle by hand, wipped it clean with a good degreaser, then used a couple cans of KRYLON FUSION white. The type that they say to use on plastic outdoor furniture. It worked great and held up for a few years very well until I sold the ski.

Fushion is not UV stable worth a *uck,you got away with this because it was white,if you use a bright or dark color it fades and looks like crap on a stick within months.:deadhorse:

PJ1 makes a pretty good epoxy paint in a rattle can they even have a clear coat. The clear coat holds up to gas good. My ski is ridden in the surf year around and has held up good so far.

Here is a pic.
PJ1 red and clear coat, rustoleum black with chrome pin stripe all for under 50 bucks.

Thats exactly what im looking for, something thats not trashy, but i can do for less then $50 plus some work.

Any good write ups for rattle can/ cheap jobs or should i just trial and error?

Anyone know where i can get a paint thats the same as rattle can (another words one step, no mixing, just point and shoot) that can go into a normal sprayer for cheap?

Painting the whole thing with a rattle can sounds like it would be much more difficult then using the cheap sprayer i have, plus im sure the sprayer would be a bit more even. Also, if im using that type of paint, do i need to seal it after the primer? And can i use autozone primer?

Top Bottom