Surfriding Percentage of flatwater vs. surfriders? Any clue?

GSXR RACER MIKE

20 years of stand up
Flat water - I've ridden stand-ups on the same river almost every weekend for the last 20 years (during the riding season). I've only been to one other body of water once, that was a lake in Wisconsin.

I also wonder what the ratio is between Stand-ups & sit downs nationwide, both flat water and surf?

Ive been riding for a little over a year now and go out to the creek atleast 3 times a week, been to the surf twice first time sank and second time my friend broke his eyesocket...with a helmet on lol so i would say im mainly a flatwater guy

^ Yeah, surf on the West Coast is a bit different than surf to others. there is what everyone calls 4-5 foot, then there is real 4-5 foot. Boat wakes are not 4-5 feet tall. :scratchchin:
I ride flat and surf. But I do not bother with trying tricks on flat. After landing on my head once I was over it

WAB

salty nuts
I would have an SXR & run bouys if I could only ride flat.
We drive 2hrs each way for good surf almost every weekend, its worth it. The local river is just for testing & tuning!

Scorn800

Ride for life
Since I stopped racing, I'm 75% surf and 25% flatwater or river riding. Where ever I ride, is fast with lots of turns:bananajump:

AtomicPunk

Lifetime bans are AWESOME
Site Supporter
100% salt... fresh is for gators and amoebas.

Mostly flat... but we do get nice boats, hurricanes, winter riding and occasional trips to the East Coast.

N3vrSat1sfied

Military Member
Well Tanner I use to ride in your group where the flat water was testing and tuning only. Now that I am back living in Michigan I have only hit west michigan surf once. I hate riding flat water compared to surf! Although fresh water is nice. I would say now I am 90% flat 10% surf (not by choice)

Its all about the surf!
We ride whatever is close to us. There isn't one flat water rider who wouldn't ride surf if it was close or any surf riders who wouldn't ride flat if that was all they had. Personally because I'm fortunate enough to live close to good surf, I ride about 98% in the waves but I still get about 2% of flat in. The flat is fun enough that I have an SXR that I keep around just for that 2%. I love carving and riding buoys. However, to spend $25,000 on a flat-water freestyle ski for that 2% just isn't practical, but if I ever came into serious cash I wouldn't mind having one. I would be a lot more serious about dropping the coin for a big HP motor when the Aftermarket engine builders come up with a package that's as reliable as stock. The first 500hr 1000cc motor that comes out, I'm all over it.

Last edited:

Tkmww

Tanner M.
Good stuff! I actually grew up riding on the river for 8 yrs. Yacht wakes were fun. Ocean city was 3 hours away and it seemed to suck most of the time we went. But then I moved to FL and hurricane bill hit 2 weeks later. Now flat is boring...unless its riding with buddies that let me ride their crazy hp flatwater boats or we get a v-wake session going...always fun! Or a lake house so everyone can hang out (lake maniac). A perfect world would be live on a lake for freshwater flush and be 5 minutes away from the ocean. If only that existed...

Top Bottom