Phazer mod sleds

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
I got the jack shaft and driver shaft pulled. The chain case bearings were extremely gritty. I ordered all new bearings for each shaft. The clutch side driver shaft bearing was the only bearing not seized, gritty, or crunchy in the entire drivetrain!

For the skid I ordered all plastic wheels to be uniform. It had random chewed up idlers: stockers, plastic, etc.

Ordered a NEW Camoplast Ice Attack track for the sled. I ride on a frozen lake, so having a studded track is essential. It will be WAY better than the stock track. It will go nicely with my CA Pro Skis and Woodys I installed last year.

When I was on the trail last year, it felt like it had a drag brake.... This thing is gonna be rolling smooth and easy when I'm done!

Scorn800

Ride for life
Depending on how you ride you might want to stud the track as well. Ice ripper tracks only dig in so much nothing beats real studs for icy conditions.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Depending on how you ride you might want to stud the track as well. Ice ripper tracks only dig in so much nothing beats real studs for icy conditions.
I'll wait to ride and compare on the lake before I add more studs. My current track had (crappy) studs on it, but I still got it to slide at low speed on the ice.

I ride groomed trails when they open up around here. The new Skis tracked much better than the stock ones it had before, can't wait to see what a new track will be like! I'm shooting to have it all done by Christmas week. That's usually our first big snow fall and the lake is hard enough to ride on.

Last edited:

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Got my new track in and the skid installed. Found a Venture 2 up seat, so my wife can tag along once in a while... Got a new seat cover for it.

Started replacing fuel lines with Tygon.

Took the carbs off and checked the jetting. One carb has a stuck tube and the other has a stuck pilot jet. EZ outs, left hand drilling, and re-tapping the threads didn't work....

Ordered 1995 VMAX carbs. They're easier to tune. No stupid rubber plugs, and the Jets are accessible if they seize up. Jets on order....

Gonna do the BIG DIRTY and pull the oil pump and tach. Going with Premix 50:1 like all my toys.

Looking at adding a finger throttle to this from my 550 handle pole. I HATE THUMB THROTTLES.

Last edited:

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Oil pump, tank, and lines removed. Much cleaner look to the engine bay ;)
image4(9).jpeg

Oil Injection system and old carbs.
image2(14).jpeg

Old Track
image0(23).jpeg

New track and fully refreshed skid.
image3(9).jpeg

Replaced tunnel rivets and painted rusty metal black. Previous owner had tunnel protectors only riveted in the rear. Now they're attached the full length. No more tuning forks!
image1(19).jpeg

Rebuilding the fuel pump and draining the gas tank are next. Then I will re-install them on the sled. Seat comes today!

Last edited:

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Grafted(Gorilla glued) the Venture 2 up rear foam into my "better" Phazer seat foam. It took a while to find a 2 up venture doner seat! I wanted a 2 up seat for Ice fishing and taking the wife with on 10-20 mile trail(bar) rides, which are common here.

Right before I smashed it together with a ratchet strap.
image0(24).jpeg

BAM
image1(21).jpeg

My VMAX carbs and Mikuni TM rebuild kits came today. I have this entire week off of work. Merry Christmas everyone!

Last edited:

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Seat came out great!
Thank you.

Some of the creases are still visible, but they'll go away with time. I did the plastic bag underneath trick. That might also have some creases. Helps it slide around easier and keep moisture from the foam.

Rebuilt the fuel pump this afternoon. Going to tear into the carbs tonight/tomorrow. I test fit them, and they should work with the stock throttle cable.

I've never rebuilt TM carbs before. BN, SBN, VM, and Keihin yes. Feel free to leave comments about them.

image0(25).jpeg

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Carbs completely torn down. The TM rebuild kits do NOT include the Air Funnel gaskets. I believe these RS versions will fit. Mine looked good enough to reuse. There's also a seal on the carb shaft linkage. I reused that as well, since it does not seal air.

image0(26).jpeg

To sync TM carbs, you use the RIGHT carb's linkage screw/nut combo. The nut is oblong/offset.

image1(22).jpeg

I'm waiting on smaller pilot jets and 1/8" tygon fuel line. Each carb has crossed fuel lines from the float bowl fuel overfill.

I'm starting with 150 Main jets, running 50:1 pre mix. I set my floats to 24mm. They were each sitting around 18mm.

My cold air intake arrived. I went through the stock air box and sealed all the cracks with RTV. No hot air sneaking in on these flat sides.

No snow in site...49 today and 53 next two days here in Wisconsin. Oh well, guess I'll go jet skiing!

Last edited:

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
My new pilot jets, main jets, and fuel line arrived yesterday. These "flat side" TM carbs are using SBN Main jets and VM/RS Pilot Jets. Guess that's what Yamaha figured works best?

image3(10).jpeg

I put the carbs back together and started test fitting everything(air box, cables, cold air intake). I need to make sure the choke cable is long enough next.

image0(27).jpeg

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Didn't think my choke cable was going to be long enough, then I had a light bulb moment. Swap them around Dumb@ss!

image0(28).jpeg

Cold air intake installed! An upgrade this simple always makes you question OEMs...
image1(24).jpeg

Next is to install the primary and secondary. Then it's the exhaust pipe and add gas.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Your starting to motivate me here, but then i look outside. That cold air intake is giving me ideas tho lol
No snow in sight, just happy the highs are 30s and the lows are below 32 right now.

My buddy with 90 acres told me I could ride there. 40 are open crops and the other 50 are woods with trails....waiting on any snow.

Squirrel hunting and trout fishing are the going to be the high lights this warm winter.

bird

walking on water
Site Supporter
Got the primary and secondary re-installed, so I fitted the second part of the "cold air intake kit". This makes sure the hot air off the engine is going right out the hood, not back into the engine bay. I ran out of rivets, need to run to my nads lol(menards).

image0(30).jpeg

Exhaust is in, just need to re-fit the handlebars.

Top Bottom