PHP 898 Review

This is far from the truth. We have guys running b pipes, charging systems, and something other than the usual 48's with great results. They run great on a bunch of different setups. If you want it to be a flat water monster no problem, we can set you up with that. You want to run it in a surf boat no problem we can get a setup for that to. Heck Blue ran one in his own personal ski with stock 46mm carbs and an epic with a charging system and he loved it. He said hands down it outperformed the other billet motor he pulled out before it. All this negativity lately seems to stem from some guy wit in Ohio who can't build his boat to work right. We even offered to tune it for him if he came up to the shop last summer. He didn't take us up on that because complaining on the internet is far easier...
We certainly don't jump on people who ask for help. Quite the contrary. Ask anyone who has called the shop for tuning advice and I'm sure they will agree we spend as long as they need to get to the bottom of whatever they have going. Man, guys wonder why other engine builders don't post on the X anymore...

You know what, you're right and I realize that I'm basing my experience with your setup more from what I've read on here than real life experience. I've ridden one ski with the 898 with the goodies (TL, Novi 48's, PFP) and it ran solid. I watched another one with B pipe and charging ignition that ran like poop, but who knows that could easily have been the tune or lack of. I was just stating an observation, again based on what I've read over time, but I realize there are so many variables, there's no way to know. My apologies if my comments caused you issues.

Last edited:

JetManiac

Stoked
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
^^^ yeah I bet your not the only one who is un happy with there php 898 but like ive always said before once someone like you posts there honest opinion then you become the bad person and everyone supporting that company comes and attacks you so im 100% sure there are a few others who would rather keep it hush.. he says blue had a php and claimed hands down was better then any other billet motor but yet blue had his for sale so does that mean blues done riding? Eh doubt it im sure he just wanted to test out the motor and wasnt to his likings.

Cant speak for others, but I can speak for Blue on this one. He didnt just sell the motor, he sold his whole ski because his body needs some time to heal and he just bought a house and needs money for other things at the moment. I can tell you he was very happy with his PHP motor.

Last edited:
Alot of my headache Mite have been avoided if I could have got some help When I asked at VA Beach I met up with you twice and ask if you would just ride my ski and tell me if that was how it was supposed to feel. I said I'll be at the very end of the free ride zone on the pink ski please just take it out and tell me what you think. None of the 3 days we were there did that happen. Came home thinking well that sucked. And went at it on my own ever since.

powerhouseperformance

www.PHPSKI.com
Site Supporter
^^^ yeah I bet your not the only one who is un happy with there php 898 but like ive always said before once someone like you posts there honest opinion then you become the bad person and everyone supporting that company comes and attacks you so im 100% sure there are a few others who would rather keep it hush.. he says blue had a php and claimed hands down was better then any other billet motor but yet blue had his for sale so does that mean blues done riding? Eh doubt it im sure he just wanted to test out the motor and wasnt to his likings.
Actually, that's exactly what it means...maybe you should ask him. Bet he gets another one yet if he ever gets back into skiing.

mattyboy89

The countdown is on
I dont see what the deal is with one person not liking it. If anything you buy off amazon on has an average rating of 4 stars and one rating of 1 star does that make you not buy it? I would hope not. I'm sure even ferrari has unpleased customers (not directly comparing this engine to a ferrari)

This is far from the truth. We have guys running b pipes, charging systems, and something other than the usual 48's with great results. They run great on a bunch of different setups. If you want it to be a flat water monster no problem, we can set you up with that. You want to run it in a surf boat no problem we can get a setup for that to. Heck Blue ran one in his own personal ski with stock 46mm carbs and an epic with a charging system and he loved it. He said hands down it outperformed the other billet motor he pulled out before it. All this negativity lately seems to stem from some guy wit in Ohio who can't build his boat to work right. We even offered to tune it for him if he came up to the shop last summer. He didn't take us up on that because complaining on the internet is far easier...
We certainly don't jump on people who ask for help. Quite the contrary. Ask anyone who has called the shop for tuning advice and I'm sure they will agree we spend as long as they need to get to the bottom of whatever they have going. Man, guys wonder why other engine builders don't post on the X anymore...

Lol you don't have to say some guy in Ohio you can say 102nd7, or even my real name Timothy Piatt. It just seems kinda sketchy when you say it that way. Kind of a way to escape accountability. Or maybe there is others in Ohio unimpressed.

As a guy with just a superjet, who is stoked on just riding his stock crap, and who is researching constantly for the possibility of buying a real engine within the next few seasons, I have to honestly say I am sketched out by the comments of the builder.

Having to be afraid to post questions on your build because of retaliation from the companies supporters and the builder itself must be nerve wracking. Especially when they refuse to use your name.
:(

Tommygunz

Team PHP
We never turn away customers or people that ask for questions or help. This thread was posted to show the positive things we have done and now we are attacking people?

We all need to keep our emotions in check when expectations are not met. Posting on a consumer driven forum as a company requires the mastery of empathy plus logistics and results here are just disappointing. While I'm sure things could have been dealt with better on "the guy from ohios end", aka Tim, I feel the proceeding post quoted from the builder was unprofessional and make me weary. Fear of bad review is a common problem on this forum, it seems, and the parties involved pay the price for the potential costumer. No good.

Last edited:
To clear the air I'm sure if I would have kept asking I could have got help. And I even posted in this I would refuse help if offered. Mistakes were made on both sides. Everybody knows zachs ski runs very well. I'm sure I could have eventually got my ski to run great. But I've run out of time, money, patients, & drive. I'm dropping my motor off at its new home today. I have mixed emotions about it because I worked so hard to get it and feel like I never actually got it. Learn from me if it's not rite don't leave zach alone till it is.

Ps. I still stand by everything I said as being truthful and honest with no intention of hurting php's reputation or business. Just told my story.

I enjoy my 898. Sitting in a chopped up RN with a b pipe, 48 novi, stock tank, mag pump, trim and enhancer. I have flipped it on my own wake. Nothing but a noobie here but I did take his advice to tune. Customer service is top notch. Great guy. Most of the time he would even notice he was talking over my head and would take time to explain.

Interesting thread. Just saw the Chan flipping video . Is it true that you can backflip a Chan with a 701 with pipe,head and impeller ?

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Honestly, I saw no problem with Zack not calling names. He was not trying to make any issue of it. Also, If you are going to buy a motor setup, listen to what the builder says, use his advise, that is what you are paying him for. Neil chose to go the opposite route. And he admitted it. It cost him some time and grief. And Zack is correct, the farther you get from Stock, the more each and every part has to mesh together..... I use to race Stock Ski on an SXR. I had a pretty good setup. I followed advice from several builders, Tim Zarnsdorf, Bill Haig and a few others. My ski ran good because of the right combo that I went with. Zack understands, He won Pro Am Stock in 2008. One of the best races I ever saw. But that besides the point. Your ski is going to run good only as long as you have the right combo of parts. You cannot just toss on some large carbs, pipe, big pump, ignition. The combo package you just took off your perfecting good running 802 big bore may have been perfect or from your 1000cc XScream. But that does not mean they will work good on your 898 PHP or 969 TPE or your 987 SeaPoo motor.

So it sounds like when you pick a builder you have 2 options. Get someone to build around your stuff or get the stuff the builder says. In other words communication is key. I like it. Sorry if I sounded harsh.

I went with a PHP 898 after doing lots of research, and spending lots of time on the phone with Zack. I went with his suggestion for setup accept ignition. I ended up switching to MSD and I absolutely love my setup. He has helped me out huge and the tuning support from him I'm not sure you could get from any other builder. Sure you don't have to follow his setup, but you are going to have to know what you are doing. Great bunch of guys that are very passionate about the sport and are out riding, constantly looking for improvements.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I had zack build my 898 for a glass xfs and did EXACTLY what he told me to do novis, total loss powerfactor. And it runs flawless. I have not had one issue with it. All. summer. long. Flips with ease especially with a seasoned rider. he has always taken time to explain what you should do and what you shouldn't n what to expect with both. there r so many variables with these skis and soooo many different parts you could build from. Go with the builders advice from proven set ups and good riders.

cgibso14

EME Aerial8 PHP
I don't comment on the X very often... I've been riding for 24yrs, and building for 20 of them. I now have a powerhouse performance PHP 898 in my EME Aerial8, Novi carbs, MSD, 145mm skat pump. I started out with a B pipe a year ago. Zack walked me through exactly how to set it up, not my first rodeo by any means but always good to have the professional input of the builder. The thing made great power, most people that rode it felt the same way I do. I have recently upgraded to a PFP. The ski hit's even harder. I love it! Technology always provides us with new and innovative things to make more power... Advances in fuel flow, exhaust flow, light weighting, etc. I think the point of "following Zack's recommendations" speaks to the time and effort that he has put into the R&D of his products, including what accessories work best. Just like any good builder, their hopefully going to tell you what works best with their product. While cost is always an issue, and we all want the most bang for the buck, the PHP PRODUCTS ARE VERY COMPETITIVELY PRICED. In my experience Zack is willing to help you setup your ski with any accessories you have. He ultimately knows all of us want (no pun intended) a foot rocket. So the discussion in my eyes of "following Zacks set up to a T..." Does not by any means specify the motor only works with one particular set up. It works best the way the motor was proven out and tested within powerhouse performance R&D. By that I mean, If you have had the opportunity to speak with Zack or any member of his team. what you'll find is that they have tested and tried ever product, mod, configuration of parts, timing advance, etc. to squeeze the most power out of the 898 without the sacrifice of it's integrity. I heard a conversation the other day... "the PHP guy's tried out a few different 155 oem pumps with serveral (5 or more) impeller swaps, just to see if there was an easy off the shelf retrofit that would work out!" while i didn't hear that story first hand... it didn't surprise me. It has been several year since I met anyone in this industry that has the passion that the PHP team has for this sport.

Top Bottom