300/440/550 picked up a 78 js440

Papnschmilees

Berinnn dinn dinn
I had this ski given to me from a friend of my fathers. It was given to me for free and it didn't run. turns out the only problem was a bad wire from the stop switch. The ski starts and runs good.
It has a westcoast pipe on it and an aftermarket ride plate thats about all I can tell. Im looking for a quick way to make this thing a little more practical to ride. any ideas? maybe a 550 swap? im not looking to spend a ton of money

Attachments

• IMAGE_116.jpg
    IMAGE_116.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 84
Had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago... Only difference I haven't had the chance to mess with the ski to see if even runs! Said it was just supposed to need a starter which I think I may have one that will work. I am curious what others might say about a budget build on an old 440...?

Dustin Mustangs

uʍop ǝpıs dn
I had a pair of those back in high school. Slow as sheet and those damn kill switches left me stranded all the time. We finally just disabled them and used the choke to turn them off.

I don't think there is anything you can do to make it much of a performer with the 440 still under the hood. Look for a wrecked 650 or 750 and get a conversion bedplate.

440 mods

I just did a complete rotational mass mod (billet flywheel, couplers, driveshaft)and now my already modded 440 really rips for a 440, but it isn't close to my fully modded 550. So I would look at your compression to see how solid your engine internals are. And throw some gas in it and ride the hell out of it untill you need to do motor work and then do a swap.

I rode a 440 superstock for years and loved it. It's not going to pull like a superjet or FX1 but it's definitely rideable. I can't think of too many things I do riding today that I couldn't have done on that 440.

Here's that old 440 (along with old school neon wetsuit!) in wave play:

Attachments

• img260.jpg
    img260.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 94
Top Bottom