650/X-2 pipe and carb

Drove my neighbors 650 with pipe and carb and I'm sold.
I have a stock 89 650sx. What carbwould you recomend. And pipe? And does anyone have one thry would like to sell..

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
What pipe does your buddy have on his ski? Go after a 44 SBN for sure, best upgrade on the 650 engine. Drill out the stock waterbox as well for better flow.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I had a SBN 44 on my SX and was quite pleased. After my motor ingested water, and replaced it with a 750 motor, I just needed a new intake and I was able to keep using that same carb.

I've heard good things about the Keihen 42. It's less popular and performs less, but I hear it has nearly the same performance on the stock 650 motor but consumers significantly less fuel. It's a trade off.

If you have the 38mm stock carb, buy the pipe 1st. If you have the 28mm stock carb, buy a carb 1st. I had a westcoast and thought it was a pretty good quality. I would recommend it. I'm not familiar with the other brands so I can't say that westcoast was the best, just that it met expectations.

Thanks guys for your input.. Not sure when my neighbor will be back up.. Thought he said it was a westcoast pipe.. Never mentioned what carb it was..I am hoping maybe just pick up anouther ski this winter.. I see there are always skis for sale on craigslist.. Couple weeks ago there were 2 ski's with pipes and carbs built motors and other add on's. for cheap money.. If I can pick up something for under a $1000 this way why not.. makes more sence to buy the ski even if its ugly and swap the parts into mine..

iangdesign

Cats, lots of cats!
Yup...then you can part the parts and skis you don't need and make some cash back. I have done the very same thing. It's how I got into my SJ.

factory pipe > coffman > westcoast > stock.
There is also a way to modify your stock pipe for more power if you're a welder.
With your stock 89 650sx, you have the 28mm keihin carb. Do the carb first. You need an intake manifold, carb, and flame arrestor. You will need to tune the carb when you put it on, so start reading about that now. Expect the carb/intake/FA setup to run you $150-250. The pipe might be in the same range.

After that, when you replace the pipe, you'll want to tweak your carb again. Lean seizures are no fun.

Then, you'll be hooked on modding, and you will want a prop, ride plate, high compresison head, advanced timing, dual cooling, light flywheel, light pole, finger throttles, paint job, aftermarket CDI, and eventually, a different hull. Welcome to the club.

The ski I got is pretty awesome.. New Paint and graphics. New hydo turf, padding, straight bars. It has a top loader intake, new jet dynamic ride pale, nose cone and Stainless Impeller.. The ski is ready now it just needs some motor upgrades.. I thought I say a company or group from CT on here that works on ski's.. I don't have enough faith in myself to start working on the motor.. ???

No faith in yourself? These motors are pretty easy. You can at least install the aftermarket parts yourself (they all bolt right on), but if you're chicken, you can always bring it to a pro to tune the carb when its installed.

Or, don't tune the carb at all, and then you get to learn how to disassamble the engine and replace major parts :)

Jet skiing and working on the ski go hand in hand, gotta start somewhere! If you aren't confident have your friend come over and assist. As the above guys said, they really are super simple to work on and modify. And personally, I have probably as much fun actually wrenching on the ski as I do riding it!

And I agree that the 44mm Mikuni is the best and easiest route to start. I'm running a Factory Pipe and it rips.

I've got a brand new West Coast pipe if you're still looking.

Attachments

• PJS clamp.JPG
    PJS clamp.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 17
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 21
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 20
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg