Piston Carnage.... never seen this before

it was a cast piston and there was no sign of detonation. The tops of the pistons were nice and brown, w/ no pitting around the edges. THe plugs never read anything but normal readings too.... THe ski did "run on" a few times, but it never stopped starting up and running due to the piston issue. It would not start due to the starter issue..

the bad starter may have saved your motor then ? :scratchchin:

Detonation / pre-ignition

Listen to Chuck...

You cannot always see detonation.. He is correct (IMO).. Step up and test with better fuel, you can always reduce the octane level later and see if it blows up again... Pump gas is now barely adequate to use in your lawnmower, let alone a large bore piston.
(Just my opinion).
Randy

Listen to Chuck...

You cannot always see detonation.. He is correct (IMO).. Step up and test with better fuel, you can always reduce the octane level later and see if it blows up again... Pump gas is now barely adequate to use in your lawnmower, let alone a large bore piston.
(Just my opinion).
Randy

yeah, I wasn't implying he was wrong, I just was explaining the whole deal... You guys know way more than I will ever know about this...

I use 93 octane fuel, that is not good enough anymore???

Big Kahuna

Administrator
yeah, I wasn't implying he was wrong, I just was explaining the whole deal... You guys know way more than I will ever know about this...

I use 93 octane fuel, that is not good enough anymore???

I pulled into a gas station yesterday to get gas for the ski. saw a note "Gas contains 10% ethanol". I drove off and went somewhere else. Granted, I dont know how much ethanol is in regular gas if any, but I went to a BP instead of the Kangaroo station where you dont know what kind of gas you are getting.

I think I remember supertune posting on here somehwere about that...yes, it does kill a bit of performance..

i got non-ethanol gas a couple of times on my drive back from mich and the truck "seemed" to have a bit more power

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
They just started putting that ********ing crap in our gas while I was injured... SInce I have come back to riding, my ski has not run good... It must have something to do w/ it...
I found that out at Tierra, both mine ran like crap since they arn't jetted for it. It also will absorb more water and possibly cause issues in the carb from setting. So far the Seattle area is ethanol free, but that may change as well.:17:

Top Bottom