Please tell me what's been done to this SJ RN.

Small update... took it for a ride today. It's pretty quick... definetely faster than my relatively stock 96 SJ. The 97 one also has a smaller turning radius. Didn't run into any major problems with it but i'll only know if it's mechanically perfect after a few rides.

I did run into some problems with my 96 SJ though... It was winterized last november and the gas tank was 2/3 full with old gas. No gas stabilizer ws used. I filled 1/3 of tank with new gas and it would start fine and go at relatively slow speeds fine, but when i gave it more throttle it would stall. After about 1 hour of riding it would have no problems going at full throttle, but not always for a very long time. The stalling started happening less as time went by... but instead of stalling completely rpms would drop and i would need to blip the throttle 5-6 times before it would run at full throttle again. You think all that was caused by old gas? Never had this problem before winter.

Last edited:

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Either water in the gas, or gummy carbs. I would run lots of good fresh gas through it and it should clear up.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Very nice ski. She's a little beat, but looks like a racer. I don't doubt it might outrun a stock SX-R.

785 cc label on the head seems strange because there are no 785 cc heads on ADA Racing website. Some more photos of the head and the motor. Carbs are Mikuni... but i don't know the size. How could i tell? Do i have to take them apart and measure the diameter?

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Last edited:

SUPERTUNE

Race Gas Rules
785 cc label on the head seems strange because there are no 785 cc heads on ADA Racing website. Some more photos of the head and the motor. Carbs are Mikuni... but i don't know the size. How could i tell? Do i have to take them apart and measure the diameter?

One easy way to tell aftermarket std. 44's and 46's apart is to take them off the manifold and look from the bottom of the carb, there is a cast in step in the bore, if about a "3/4 deep it will be a 44mm, if the step is about "1/4 deep it will be a 46mm. ( I'm betting that they're 44mm by looking at the outside of the body of the carb)

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Thats not corrosion from salt water. Why are so many people afraid to ride in salt water? Its not the water, its how you clean your ski after you ride in salt water.

fo real... you'd think salt was the devil the way people are skeered of it.....

as long as you buy a lot of CRC and make sure you flush and hose everything down with freshwater after every ride salt water is no problem.

vitaly

Анархия - мать порядка!
One easy way to tell aftermarket std. 44's and 46's apart is to take them off the manifold and look from the bottom of the carb, there is a cast in step in the bore, if about a "3/4 deep it will be a 44mm, if the step is about "1/4 deep it will be a 46mm. ( I'm betting that they're 44mm by looking at the outside of the body of the carb)
I'm curious, why not just use a caliper and find out for sure? :pancake:

Today my gf was riding this ski and after a while it wouldn't start. Kept cranking but wouldn't start.... i suspect water got somewhere it should be. Sucks because now i have to figure things out.

Top Bottom