Pole Design/Recommendations

Im thinking about building a new pole for my SXR. Looking for suggestions on building this. The reason Id like your input is because if this goes as planned I may market them for sale. Id build them with cost in mind because I know how bad these ski's eat up the money. I'll probably look into building them for the Superjets also....

surfgy45

just add gas...
stock with a little touch of BAM! although, i dont recommend this material.

who made this pole? :27: :sneaky:

the xmetal poles are the sweetest aftermarket poles, IMO. not saying to go china-town on the idea and steal it, but maybe work off it? what are those made out of anyway?

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 123
Ya, the X-metal poles are nice! Ive checked a few of the others out there also. Could you guys compile a list of poles / brands and I'll start checking them out and see what I come up with. Maybe ranking them in the order you'd buy them, etc... thanks

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
surfgy45 said:
Companies in my order:
1.Xmentalworks
2.U.M.I Racing
3.AC Pole
4.Rick Roy Pole - look off blowsion, or wamiltons

Don't forget the stocker. glassing over the riveted areas on the top and bottom of a stock pole make for one strong pole. U.M.I. is a pos. They break like crazy. I wouldn't give up my stock pole over anything, but know everyone has had good luck with the xmetal ones. I HAVE NEVER BROKEN A STOCK POLE THAT I REINFORCED. You will rip the bracket out of the hull before the pole breaks, I know this from experience.

cookerq62

Life's Been Good
I think a pole similar to the stock sj would be cool with a 3 peice design where you could cut down the center section. Using a standard stock diameter would be cool for the center section so comeone could use a pair of say like 2" tubes of various materials that are readily available. So you would only have to sell the top and bottom sections and the buyer could supply their own mid portion. Kind of like the rick roy pole but only sell the top and bottom and simplify it a little bit.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
People seem to like the thin look of the X-Metal poles, but I have never heard of anyone breaking an AC.

I am on my 2nd UMI. Broke the first... This one is reinforced and is said to be unbreakable.

Mark44

Katie's Boss
s

Mike Serlin said:
Don't forget the stocker. glassing over the riveted areas on the top and bottom of a stock pole make for one strong pole. U.M.I. is a pos. They break like crazy. I wouldn't give up my stock pole over anything, but know everyone has had good luck with the xmetal ones. I HAVE NEVER BROKEN A STOCK POLE THAT I REINFORCED. You will rip the bracket out of the hull before the pole breaks, I know this from experience.

I also run a stock pole cut down.
Love the light weight of the stocker.:Banane01:

Mark44

runaway

I break stuff
I have an xmetal pole on my surf ski. Works awesome. However I agree with Mike Surlin, stock pole reinforced with a limiting rope is cheap and very good. The ski I am building right now will have a stock pole.

botizzle

drillin like a villian
The nice thing about a UMI is, if and when it breaks, or if you just want it shorter..1st run it through the bandsaw and cut away the weld,2nd reinsert in the base bracket, 3rd weld it back on. That extruded design makes life easy. I just shortend an AC not long ago what a P.I.T.A!!

Marshj

DarkHorse
I broke the stock one where the turnplate attaches with a limiting rope. I also broke a stocker at the base, without a limiting rope. I've had good luck with the fiberglass part though :dunno:

onesojourner

I use a thumb throttle.
here is the xft. I think it looks cool I have never used it. I like how it gets skinnier in the middle.

Attachments

• xftpole1.jpg
    xftpole1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 64
  • xftpole3.jpg
    xftpole3.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 69
Top Bottom