Pole limiting ropes, anyone making them?

I like to run about 6m climbing rope tied together into a sling and doubled over. Mount a ss eyelet in the tray and on the pole, use aluminum carabiners on each end and tie bungee cord to pole bolt with a loop tied into it for the rope to run through. this way you have both a limiting rope and about an 8ft tow rope with carabiners that clip right to the tow hooks. No more rushed knots.

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
I use small diameter Dyneema and splice a Brummel eye in each end. You can also splice small soft shackles for attachment to one end. The opposite end should be attached with a light duty stainless steel carabiner so that there is give somewhere in the system. Dyneema is incredibly strong (more so than steel wire of the same diameter), floats, and is uv resistant. It is often used for sailing because of its pragmatic benefits in marine applications.

Pm me if you are interested in any more details.

Last edited:
I use small diameter Dyneema and splice a Brummel eye in each end. You can also splice small soft shackles for attachment to one end. The opposite end should be attached with a light duty stainless steel carabiner so that there is give somewhere in the system. Dyneema is incredibly strong (more so than steel wire of the same diameter), floats, and is uv resistant. It is often used for sailing applications because of its pragmatic benefits in marine applications.

Pm me if you are interested in any more details.
I might have to make one like this. Thanks for the info!

Kohldanielzimmer

Sierra Nevada Runoff Rider
Site Supporter
Brummel 1st end splice:

Brummel 2nd end splice:

Soft shackle:

Length calculator for soft shackle:
http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_howto.php

Source for one type of dyneema line (can be bought in many places including Amazon):
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...uct.do?pid=54209&familyName=Amsteel+Blue+Rope

Specs on Samson Amsteel blue (just one type of dyneema 12-strand single braid rope):
http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Product.aspx?ProductID=872

Good luck everyone! This is fun skill to learn and is useful for many applications.

Haha post a pic! I wanna see it!
Best pic i have, i just sold this ski so itll have to wait till i get the next one for a better pic. I made/bent a SS bracket to bolt into the steering stop that holds a triangle from a viaferrata lanyard. If you zoom in on the pole youll see it.

Attachments

• 2016-01-15 12.53.05.jpg
    2016-01-15 12.53.05.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
No, i had it unclipped from the tray to take the hood off. The limiting rope is the tow rope. I just made a giant sling (tied the ends together making a big loop) out of the rope and flolded it in half. Having a good climbing biner on either end to enable faster clipping/unclipping. Climbing biners dont create catches in the rope or cut your fingers like some of the other types used. Then when you need to tow just unclip and reclip with the option of a full length or shorter tow strap.

Top Bottom